Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question >

Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question

Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Spike

Fact : there are definitly ways to reduce scent but being scent free is just impossible. We will never beat a deers nose.

Fact: hunt the wind, this is the absolute best bet. You could be smoking a cig with the correct wind and still kill. I know plenty who do it, a lot.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Spike

With that being said, I do wear Scentblocker. Because of the good quality in the clothing, and my Dream Season Pro suit keeps me extremely warm. I dont buy too much into the scent elimination, but I do shower/laundry and spray down with scent elimination. I do think it helps. If anthing it inspires confidence for many.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
If all the smells in the woods don't cover your scent a little wafer certainly won't either.

Just think about how unrealistic the concept really is.

In the woods you are completely surrounded by natural smells. That is what a whitetail does is detect/pick out alarming smells in a natural environment. Hanging a little natural scent wafer on your shirt won't fool a whitetail for even a second. It simply doesn't work.

Its about like stepping in dog poo on your way in Mcdonalds and thinking people won't smell it if you pin a french fry on your hat.
Made me spit my drink! Great stuff. And true!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:45 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Another thing about the wind - it carries sound. So a little "clank" or "snap" is more likely to be heard.

Truthfully, when hunting close-range (20 yds) with a bow, I have had virtually no success getting close to a deer downwind from me. And if you screw up your spot, then you have no opportunity left for when the wind is right.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
if you screw up your spot, then you have no opportunity left for when the wind is right.
Right, this is so under rated. Hunting the wind is one thing but your foot print doesn't just disappear when you leave the woods from hunting, scouting, checking cams etc.

That is why its so easy to sell us scent wafers to hang on our hats....because that is much easier than reality.

Scent control is a huge topic that gets watered down by gimmicks. Consistently Harvesting the mature buck that just about everybody wants to harvest is a process of patients not gimmicks. Timing is what its about. Hunting the wind is a given but even that won't work if your hunting that buck on days where he don't budge until after dark. He can still smell you after your gone.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue
Here's my opinion, what's yours? Feel free to attack, but let's play nice.

Scent is merely the olfactory detection of airborne particulate. I don't believe spraying on "scent blockers" can in any way, reduce the parts-per-million airborne particles released by the body, breath, sweat, etc. I agree with using scent free soaps for the body and clothing, but I'm thinking all the other stuff is a con.

Also, if you master hunting the wind, I don't see how a deer could smell you, regardless of how bad your stink is. If you put a drop of food coloring in a moving stream, it's impossible for the color to swim upstream. I find the same to be true with any scent in the wind. How else did our granparents go out in the woods without camo, without scentblock, and smoking cigars/pipes and sipping cheap whiskey?

I think it's easy for us hunters to be taken advantage of by B.S. marketing because we're extremely passionate about what we do and strive to become more effective at our craft. We want to believe.
And we love our toys (it's just fun).

If you had a competition between a highly skilled hunter with only his bow/gun and nothing else, and an average hunter with every and anything sold at Bass Pro/Cabela's... I'd bet a huge sum of money that the skills would trump the "technology" any day of the week.
At one time I was on the fence with all the scent cover and control. Like others I didn't see anything definitely working and couldn't say it hurt. I was wondering if I was just spraying my money out of those bottles.

The changing point came when I read an article on cover scent and if it really worked. The article has a K9 officer from maybe Alabama State Police or an Alabama county (maybe Georgia? IDK for sure. It was a while ago). He had a top ranked tracking dog. The way they worked the experiment was they put a guy out in the woods in two modes.

1. The way you would walk around every day & w no cover scent..
2. Then with rubber boots & w no cover scent.

The dog was put out and they timed how long it took the dog to find the hunter.

They then put the same guy out in I think 3 modes.

1. The way you would walk around every day but fresh showered with hunters soap and in clothes washed in hunters detergent.
2. Add rubber boots.
3. Add scent blocking clothing.

The dog found the guy every time and funny thing that the dog found the guy a bit quicker when he tried to cover his scent. Now think about how much more keen a deer's nose is than a dogs.

This was my changing point in my believe. Only time I use cover scent now is if I think I have a strong smell on me.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

What about ozonics? Even if it does work I would never pay the ridiculous price they want for it but was wandering what everyones thoughts are on it?
Here is a fact sheet from the Connecticut Department of Health. Basically, if you want to use ozone to remove smells, it needs to be at levels that are considered unsafe for humans.

http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/enviro...fact_sheet.pdf

Devices that emit ozone at or below health standards set by the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) do not effectively remove particles such as dust and pollen from the air, nor do they kill bacteria, viruses, mold, or other biological contaminants, despite claims made by advertisers.
Professional cleaners that use ozone generators for flood or fire/smoke damaged buildings often do so for prolonged periods and while buildings are largely unoccupied and the ventilate the building after using. You never see them treating outdoor smells with ozone generators. Why? Because they are even less effective in open/free air environments where sufficient levels of ozone cannot build up enough to affect the odor causes.

I know people swear by these things. They also swear by lucky undershorts, miracle attractants, magic bullets, and aliens.

Okay, well I do have lucky undershorts, but I never know if they truly worked or not unless I have a successful hunt. Then I know they worked. Right? That is how a lot of this seems to work. If you buy a new product and you have a good hunt, then obviously the product works really well. If you don't have a good hunt, then the deer/hogs/etc. either weren't there or were just too well educated. Nobody wants to admit,

I just spent $300 on garbage that didn't do me any good.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
At one time I was on the fence with all the scent cover and control. Like others I didn't see anything definitely working and couldn't say it hurt. I was wondering if I was just spraying my money out of those bottles.

The changing point came when I read an article on cover scent and if it really worked. The article has a K9 officer from maybe Alabama State Police or an Alabama county (maybe Georgia? IDK for sure. It was a while ago). He had a top ranked tracking dog. The way they worked the experiment was they put a guy out in the woods in two modes.

1. The way you would walk around every day & w no cover scent..
2. Then with rubber boots & w no cover scent.

The dog was put out and they timed how long it took the dog to find the hunter.

They then put the same guy out in I think 3 modes.

1. The way you would walk around every day but fresh showered with hunters soap and in clothes washed in hunters detergent.
2. Add rubber boots.
3. Add scent blocking clothing.

The dog found the guy every time and funny thing that the dog found the guy a bit quicker when he tried to cover his scent. Now think about how much more keen a deer's nose is than a dogs.

This was my changing point in my believe. Only time I use cover scent now is if I think I have a strong smell on me.
To be fair the cover scents would obviously give the dog something to follow. Even if it worked on deer (which it don't) it still wouldn't fool a tracking dog.

Putting any kind of scent on your self to escape a tracking dog is obviously a real bad idea.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Spike

While scouting a couple years ago, I sat one spot for a while and really had to pee. So I did, then started moving on to another area. A few minutes later I turned and saw two small bucks standing where I just left and sniffing my pee. Now instead of cover and scent-away products, I just wash myself & clothes in un-scented soap and it hasn't hurt my effectiveness.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

I thought I saw the same thing Uncle Matt is talking about, but my recollection is a bit different so it must have been a different study. As I recalled it, fresh earth cover spray did not prevent a dog from finding a human, but it took the dog a little longer. The test was set up with 6 or 8 boxes the person could be in. It was a limited area, so the entire area probably smelled like human (and possibly cover scent) and the guy didn't move but simply waited for the dog to pick the correct box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.