Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question >

Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question

Old 09-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

I wear the stuff and use the spray, but I'm always way more concerned about wind direction than whether or not my clothing is going to eliminate my scent because even if it does remove scent it's not going to be anywhere near 100%. I just figure even if it is just marginally effective why not get as much of an advantage as you can?
Old 09-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

^ exactly my opinion. hunters aren't trying to reinvent the wheel in most cases and as far as i'm concerned, if the game isn't upwind from the hunter the scent blockers are probably only buying you seconds before detection.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

The farm I hunt has two stands, one at the north end and one at the south end. Two of us hunt it. I killed 3 deer there last year. We can't hunt the wind, my buddy smokes on the way to the woods in the truck and smokes while he hunts. I used to smoke and have killed deer with a cigarette in my hands.
I keep my bibs in a large plastic storage bag and sometimes use a sent wafer but that is it. I see more then my fair share of deer coming from all directions.
I had a guy tell me once that deer will ALWAYS come in from downwind, every time. I told him if that was the case they would all be standing on the beaches of the east coast, they can't all be downwind of everyone.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Spike

I found this article a few months ago and thought it an interesting read. Shows that you really can't get rid of all your scent but you may just confuse the deer long enough to get a shot off. It was more testing of the new Ozonics equipment but they do run a test with your standard scent block.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...g-sniffing-dog
Old 09-08-2014, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
If all the smells in the woods don't cover your scent a little wafer certainly won't either.

Just think about how unrealistic the concept really is.

In the woods you are completely surrounded by natural smells. That is what a whitetail does is detect/pick out alarming smells in a natural environment. Hanging a little natural scent wafer on your shirt won't fool a whitetail for even a second. It simply doesn't work.

Its about like stepping in dog poo on your way in Mcdonalds and thinking people won't smell it if you pin a french fry on your hat.
I never said it would cover your scent. I said it would dilute your scent.

Personally, i've never used anything to cover my scent. As a still hunter of 60 years of hunting I know how to use the wind in my favor.

However, not all hunters are good at playing the wind. I have buddies that swear by the wafers, and have better success using them. He uses the ones that smell like dirt. Earth wafers I think they're called.

I was curious, and looked them up. I found hundreds of hunters who swear by them just as strong as you guys swear against them.

So, even though I don't find a need to use them. I at least have an open mind about them. I don't know if they work, but if you have a scent that's coming off you that's stronger than your human scent, and is a natural smell to animals. Who knows if they help? It seems better than having nothing but human stink coming off you.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

What about ozonics?
Originally Posted by b0huntr147
I found this article a few months ago and thought it an interesting read. Shows that you really can't get rid of all your scent but you may just confuse the deer long enough to get a shot off. It was more testing of the new Ozonics equipment but they do run a test with your standard scent block.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...g-sniffing-dog
I was going to point to this same article.

Bottom line, if you follow the basic skill set of hunt the wind, sit still, and don't make noise, you will be successful. Mountain lions, coyotes, great cats, etc. have no scent blockers and do just fine by doing these things.

Hence, I don't spend much money on scent controls, camo, and all that.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ever see a cat get busted during a stalk? I have.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Ever see a cat get busted during a stalk? I have.
Sure. Many times.

That's just it: for me, the essence of hunting is the predator's skill at remaining undetected vs. the prey's skill at detection. That's what makes it a sport for me.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Sure. Many times.

That's just it: for me, the essence of hunting is the predator's skill at remaining undetected vs. the prey's skill at detection. That's what makes it a sport for me.
I agree completely, but not everybody is dedicated enough to hone those skills. For them a little help in the scent department won't hurt.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

For them a little help in the scent department won't hurt.
I agree, although I prefer people do it in a way that in some way reflects their own skill and ingenuity rather than industrial technology. There's a point in there where the fair chase issue pops up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.