Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

help with a svage axis 308?

Old 08-31-2014, 06:05 AM
Spike

Exclamation help with a svage axis 308?

Hi I just bought a savage axis 307. I'm new to rifles and I'm not sure what grain of bullets are good for what. I was recommended to come here and ask instead of wasting money buying every bullet. Has anyone already done the testing? If do let me know please. Is a there a special grain for target practice, deer, elk, bear and others? If do please reply!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Spike

I meant a 308 sorry!!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted with a rifle chambered for 308 Win. for over 40 years .... white tail deer, mule deer and feral hogs ... and popped a few coyotes along the way. It is my No. 1 and favorite hunting cartridge for the critters I chase. I have no experience hunting bear, elk, moose, etc.

My expereince hunting medium game the 308 Win. is deadly out beyond the range that most of us can manage. I have killed mule deer cleanly well past 300 yards with a great rest and lucky shot a coyote at a raged 415. I have found that the optimum bullet weights are going to be 150gr., 165 gr. and 180 gr. My personal choice is the 165 gr. Your Axis will be like every other rifle that I have come across in that it will group better with some loads than others. You will have to try a few to see which. I would think that starting with something loaded with a 165 gr. bullet would be a good place to begin. You should expect under 2 MOA .... and probably closer to 1 MOA. That was the case with the Axis I bought for my grandson in 243 Win.

I have experienced groups over 4 MOA and as good as sub-MOA with the same rifle as my buddy and I went through many factory loads. So you may have to try 3-4-5 or more different loads. In the case I mention in this paragraph, it took us 11 different loads before we found one that my buddy would accpept! That was by far the most different factory loads that I ever have been through in an attempt to select a "winner". I will add , there were 5 so called "premium" ammo that grouped best, with one grouping excellent. As far as what to plink with at the range? What ever you can afford would use.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot 150 grn remington coreloct bullets from my .308. one shot kills every time, most times they go right down. That combo has take a whole lot of deer.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

The only 308 I have is a ruger with and 18 1/2" barrel it shots 150 core lock never had a dear take more then 5 or so steps. Longest shot was 225 yards and bang down.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

.308 was designed to shoot well with lighter bullets in the 150 to 165 gr. range. The standard rate of twist used to be quicker than a 30-06 (1:10 vs. 1:12) to account for this. It seems that nowdays the rate of twist in some rifles has been extended back to 1:12. In that case, the accuracy potential would include 180 gr. pills as well.