Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Rear Decoy

Old 08-20-2014, 02:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Deer Rear Decoy

Last year I got into decoying deer with 3 life sized decoys. (see thread)

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread...ster-dolly-doe

It was fun and added another level of satisfaction to my bowhunting but at the same time it was for work and more stuff to haul in and out of the woods. I still plan to use the full sized decoys during the rut but this year I am making a lighter and more portable decoy again using the tail wager device.

This decoy will be a 2 ½ D decoy since its not a full 3D. Its going to be just the rear end. Im building it out of scrap lumber I have in the shop and the leftover paint from making last year’s decoys. Here are a few early pictures of the construction.

It bought some fiberglass driveway marking poles and painted them black and drilled a couple holes in the decoy. The tail wager will want to cause some imbalance making the decoy want to trip forward so the poles will hold it up and help on windy days too. Here I have the poles and tail wager installed.

Then made a housing for the batteery pack and painted the decoy with the same light brown I used on last year’s decoys and then sprayed white highlights in all the white hair areas.

The finished deer butt without motion.

And here is a video of the tail swishing. Total weight with motor and battery pack is 7 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9VPSkJwx4
Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 AM
Spike

and if they approach from the other way?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

They wont see a decoy. Duh

It will be placed against a tree or brush or other obstacle making them see it from a certain angle. This aint rocket science.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

This is briliant! Im gonna have to try this. thanks for the info DIY guy
Old 08-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Spike

haha, alright buddy. I was just asking a simple question on how you you'd use it in situations where deer come from different view. From behind it'd pry work Saying "Duh" and this ain't rocket science isn't a very good way to prove a product works. I'd actually like to see how animals interact with it. I'm skeptical on the fact that deer aren't stupid so when they see that thing moving and then don't see the rest of an animal they won't come near. but hey, hunting ain't rocket science
Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by illiniquack15
Saying "Duh" and this ain't rocket science isn't a very good way to prove a product works.
This is not a "product" Its just a DIY decoy Im trying out.

I'd actually like to see how animals interact with it.
So would I but I needed to make it now so the paint has time to off-gas.

I'm skeptical on the fact that deer aren't stupid so when they see that thing moving and then don't see the rest of an animal they won't come near. but hey, hunting ain't rocket science
Deer are curious and social and dumb. They dont reason and solve complex problems. They see a portion of another deer and will either get out of dodge or focus on it (rather than me) and check it out. Im guessing they will check it out. If not and it turns out it scares them away (I really doubt that will happen) then I scrap the idea and go back to my 3D decoys. We learn by exploring and trying new things. There are plenty of 2D decoys on the market (re. Montana, Renzo, etc) today with no motion so this is nothing new. Its just a diff twist and a homemade one to boot. Never be afraid to fail and certainly never be afraid to ry.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Pretty good idea.Lot of thought you put into this. Let us know how it works.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

That woudn't be legal in PA. Probably will work as good as the commercial ones with a moving tail but weighs more to carry in. The PGC has some full body deer mounts that the tail and heads move on, I don't now about decoying deer but they sure decoy road hunters and night shooters.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-20-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Spike

i rember reading peter cant spell last name saying in a old white hunyng stagies mag he has used just a tail layed on brush with fishing line tied too it too get it to move wnen he needed it too so im sure that would work too
Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 AM
Typical Buck

Huh???? In english please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.