Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
offtopic:advice needed on starting hunting business >

offtopic:advice needed on starting hunting business

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

offtopic:advice needed on starting hunting business

Old 08-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Spike

Default offtopic:advice needed on starting hunting business

hi guys
ok so ive decided to start my own hunting business.

my budget is around 500k.

Can someone tell me how many acres of hunting land will i get in texas or the mid-west?

Also how many employees are needed to run a hunting outfitter business.

any feedback would be appreciated.
--sam
Old 08-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO if you have that money, I would put it in investments and forget the hunting business. That sounds like a lot of money, but to buy a decent piece of land in Texas or anywhere else it would take a lot more than that to get something like you're talking about going. About all I can think of for that amount would be a small piece of land that is either already high fenced or that the law would allow to be high fenced. Then that presents many problems in that most don't consider that fair chase and it becomes a business where you're just buying and selling animals for a profit and that type of business usually isn't thought of as hunting. More power to you if you can do it and succeed!
Old 08-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

hey man i hope all goes well, i wish you the best.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unequivocally, if you are asking this type of question - i.e. what are farrow land prices in Texas or the Midwest - then your business is bound to fail. If you don't have the business savvy or common sense to find that answer, nor your answer to how many employees you'll need, then you have no business trying to start your own company. Entrepreneurialism isn't for everybody, and it honestly does not appear to be for you.

In much of the Midwest, you will get less than 100 acres for $500,000, only in farrow ground, and less than 50acres in many areas. This would be LAND PRICES ONLY, and would not include any buildings necessary for the execution of an outfitter business, ATV's, maintenance equipment, liability insurance, legal fees, operating costs (salaries, consumables, fuel, electrical bills, corn for feeders, food plot seed & maintenance costs, etc etc etc). 30-100acres isn't enough to conduct an outfitter business.

Take your $500k elsewhere and find someone that can do something safe and well-guided with it. This is nothing but a bad idea for you.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Not many. I took a few entrepreneurial classes in college because I thought I might want to own my own business and I looked into exactly what your talking about wrote up a business plan for a course contest and everything. When it's all said and done you are talking millions of dollars. By the time I'd have gotten that, if it were even possible, I'd have owned very little of it myself. As others said, the safe route would be investing it elsewhere. But if you truly want to do that you're going to need outside funding and a lot more insight into the business end of it. Calling and visiting some ranches if they'll let you would be an excellent place to start to learn the ropes. Starting a business isn't all sunshine and rainbows unfortunately.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with the above posters. I hate to say it but if you have to turn to a hunting forum to find out land prices you have a long way to go. If you have 500K to invest, I'd look into something else to put your money in.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have a friend who is an outfitter in KY... He started small by leasing smaller tracts around his area by talking to local farmers and land owners,he now has around 7k ac that he leases.. If you come in to hunt with him you stay in his home and most of the land is within 10 to 25 min away.

He runs bunches of trail cams and has dozens of stands mostly loc-ons... I believe he gets some help with stands and cams by being on the pro-staff for major hunting show..

He does not and you will not get rich running a hunting business and it is a lot of work... But he loves it....

if you want to talk to him about how he got started and what it took I can pm you his number..

you may also want to consider buying a turn key operation..

ignore the naysayers and follow your dreams... if you do what you love it's not work..

you may also want to consider buying a turn key operation..

Last edited by ojibwa; 08-19-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd follow the model of starting off with smaller leases. You don't need to own the land, you just need rights to hunt. A few years into it, if things go well for you, then you can start buying land if that's the way you want to go.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by unclenorby
i'd follow the model of starting off with smaller leases. You don't need to own the land, you just need rights to hunt.
bingo!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

gold is sub $ 1300 put it there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.