Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Newbie hunting trip in New England. Expectations vs. reality? >

Newbie hunting trip in New England. Expectations vs. reality?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newbie hunting trip in New England. Expectations vs. reality?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Spike

Question Newbie hunting trip in New England. Expectations vs. reality?

Dear New Englanders,

A friend of mine recently got his LTC here in Massachusetts and is planning a hunting trip to have us stuff our freezers with as many deer/turkeys as possible. I know I am posting in the deer forum, but since this is a weekend trip and none of us are experienced, I would assume our chances of actually getting a deer are slim to none. Would turkey be more realistic? I would love any advice from New England hunters as to how we could do this and not come home empty handed. Maybe paying for a guided trip is the best course of action?
Thanks guys!
Old 08-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no experience hunting in the NE. However here in SE Alabama the odds of me taking a turkey compared to taking a deer are about 1 turkey to 10 deer! And I have been an avid hunter of both since the mid 1960's. So, I'd imaging you'd have a better chance taking a deer than a gobbler.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where in New England? You mention MA, I don't know of anything like a guided hunt in MA, maybe in Maine. Most guides in New England I've heard of are for bear and/or moose.

Also, if in MA, you can't hunt Sundays.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Concentrate on white tails here in New England . Your chances are better. Not be a buzz kill but if you are coming for a short time and don't have good spots picked out on private land it will be a challenge.
I don't always see deer every time I go out and I have a few good private land spots. Where in Mass. You going to be? Maybe we can give some pointers if we know about where and when you will be around.