Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again >

How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again

Old 05-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Spike

Back when my dad was a kid he worked for a farmer and the farmer had him eat a leaf of poisen ivy and my dad didn't know it was poisen ivy he got really sick but he ha sent had poisen ivy or anything like that in 30 some years.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:12 AM
Spike

I can vouch for the exposure leading to immunity. At least from my experience, when I used to work for my fathers lawn care clearing land, would get rashes the first part of the year. After the first 2-3 break outs I could roll around in the stuff and not get a rash again the rest of the year.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Leahbusby
I can vouch for the exposure leading to immunity. At least from my experience, when I used to work for my fathers lawn care clearing land, would get rashes the first part of the year. After the first 2-3 break outs I could roll around in the stuff and not get a rash again the rest of the year.
Not necessarily ! I know several people that have contacted poison ivy for the first time and had severe reactions. The second contact was much worse and they were warned by a doctor to try and avoid contact as the next contact would be even worse and could lead to a trip to the E R !
Old 06-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on the person. I had it from head to toe so bad back in the 50s when I was a kid that I had to go to the hospital for shots. Since then I'm more careful on what I do, but very seldom do I get it even as much as I'm in the outdoors and exposed to it. I would guess I built up at least partial immunity.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

1968 I was a lineman for a telephone company. We would set poles on the roadside where PI grows and I had some really bad reactions. I ended up in the ER a few times followed up by the steroid shots to dry it up. I learned early on to recognize and stay away. Even today it is everywhere and I look for it always.
I had one of my worst cases on a deer hunt to Michigan. We were hunting pub lands and asked to hunt a few private spots. One farmer said OK and I remembered picking a tree stand spot and ripping vines off the tree so I could climb it. A day or two later I was in Grayling hospital with a face that looked like I had been in a bar fight with Mike Tyson.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-29-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:30 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Poison Ivy is very common here in Michigan. My husband says he's been exposed to it and didn't get a rash, but he still avoids it. He won't press his luck.

He has made sure the girls and I know exactly what it looks like, and know to avoid it. Our daughters have become the unofficial poison ivy warning system for the little troop of kids who play in the woods between our neighborhood and the river.

I'm kind of surprised that so many people can't recognize it.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 AM
Spike

I hope no one listens to that old timer you know.......all the science I have read specifically states you can not increase immunity from poison ivy/oak but the opposite happens it eventually actually breaks down your immunity ......ive seen people burn it and end up hospitalized from the smoke exposure ....on the flip side ive watched cattle eat it like candy. I have always seen oldtimers use the jewel weed google it if you dontknow what it is ......in my opinion its a bushcraft instant plan but the only way to flat out not get it is to wash away the oil it leaves on your skin/ clothes with cold water and strong detergent soap.........hot water can open your poors and make you more prone to outbreak
Old 10-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

There is a lot of good advice on here and I appreciate it, everyone! My arms look like I am a leper right now because I have gotten into so much of the crap lately at my job. I work on the bases of power poles and towers and you better believe I do my share of ripping that infernal plant off poles and fences around them and cutting their demonic roots out of the ground when I have to dig the poles or towers out. I think I will throw a washcloth and small bottle of dish soap in the Ranger tomorrow morning lol. BB
Old 12-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nwal
I hope no one listens to that old timer you know.......all the science I have read specifically states you can not increase immunity from poison ivy/oak but the opposite happens it eventually actually breaks down your immunity ......ive seen people burn it and end up hospitalized from the smoke exposure ....on the flip side ive watched cattle eat it like candy. I have always seen oldtimers use the jewel weed google it if you dontknow what it is ......in my opinion its a bushcraft instant plan but the only way to flat out not get it is to wash away the oil it leaves on your skin/ clothes with cold water and strong detergent soap.........hot water can open your poors and make you more prone to outbreak

I can vouch for the catching it from the smoke. When I was a kid I rode my bike past a field that a farmer was burning. The next day was at the emergency room with the rash down my throat, nostrils, lungs, in my eyes. It was so bad that when I first showed up to the doctors they started getting the burn unit ready.

As far as preventing it I have learned what it looks like and how to avoid it. I also wash as soon as I get back in from the woods (clothes and shower). I have found that dish soap brakes the oils down and if you wash soon enough it doesn't have time to create a reaction.

Now if you could just tell me how to keep then damn seed ticks off me I'd be a happy camper