Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are you packing?

Old 10-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are you packing?

Just wondering what hunters are carrying with them, I never used to carry a pack, but since I started, I don' t think I could live without mine, I used to have my pockets filled, now that it' s on my back, it' s a million times more handy, here' s what she holds on a typical day afield while rifle hunting(bow hunting is more):

Skinning knife and bone saw, knife sharpener
Survival kit (and everything that entails)
Small folding three legged stool
Hatchet and collapsable bow saw
Extra ammunition (unless I take a buttstock rubber band)
Head lamp
12' x5' burlap camo blind material
Cell phone
Wallet w/ID, License and tags
Large binocs (compacts around my neck)
Drag rope
Water and snack bars
Cover scents/attractants
Extra cloves and stocking cap

THat' s about it, I know it sounds like a lot, but it weighs barely more than my rifle, and a LOT less than the backpack I carry to KSU all week. The nicest thing about it is that I can take it off and hang it in the stand, have everything close-by, but not have to carry it when I start stalking.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:57 AM

Default RE: What the ruck are you packing?

Real men only need a knife to survive
Old 10-05-2003, 09:56 AM

Default RE: What the ruck are you packing?

Not much need for a ruck sack around here. All I use is a fanny pack. I load it with my binoculars, gutting knife, some 50/50 cord for pulling my weapon up in the stand, mini-mag, snacks, and a couple bottles of water. If I' m planning on staying in the woods all day, I will take a small back-pack and throw some sandwiches in it along with some T/P.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:55 PM

Default RE: What are you packing?

I usually carry a couple of flashlights. Two knifes, a grunt tube, binocs, rangefinder and scents both cover and attractant. Of course I carry my hunting license/wallet. I would carry my cell phone but it doesn' t work were I hunt.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Spike

NOMERCY--I,m with you on the back pack. I carry knife,folding saw, mini-mag light,2 way radio, survival kit,fluorescent trail tape,license,rope,water,scents,extra compass, extra socks, sandwiches and Holloween size candy bars. This year i have added a GPS. Cell phones don' t work in our area of the Adirondacks.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

I use a small back pack.

Extra ammo
Knife
Short drag rope.
grunt tube
water
John Wayne tp (rough and tough and dont take sh** off nothin)
rain suit if it looks like I need it.
small camera (a pic in the woods looks better than 10 in a pickup)
small flash light

I better quit my pack is getting heavy.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wont list clothing...ammo liscense ect...they are obvious....but i usually carry:
a 3-4 inch knife for dressing
a leatherman wave...will fix most anything and a great survival tool and good if i loose the other knife..
rope to drag...atleast 2 or more
treestand rope
a mini mag light (aaa model) i dont need much light and rarely use it because i know the trails i use to get in
extra batteries and bulb for it
camera
matches and a lighter to survive if needed
a cloth i keep dry for scopes and to start a fire if im in that situation
alot of water
lunch
and i think thats about it....i dont take much...i usually fit it all into my pockets of my jacket...i walk about 2 miles one way and a 2 mile drag out coulc kill you with a pack on if its heavy...but its well worth it to me....i thought about getting a pack but i really dont see the need....i mean if im in a survival situation im going wish i had more clothing and a spool of rope ect..but iwth what i have i feel i can make it a night easy if i have to....survival is something im always interested in and always reading about...i think id do alright...this year i do need a pack though for the straps and such for my tree stand...just a real little tiny one ill hafta find...it has to be a backpack though being my possibles bag for muzzleloading will be on my hip when muzzleloading...i dont take much extra clothing...2 pairs of gloves and 2 hats and whatever jackets ect i need to wear....i can unzip if i get hot or zip up if i get cold...it works for me....

Old 10-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I never hunt more than a few hundred yards from my Pickup because of health reasons. I can carry everything I need in there. However Your pack sounds like a great Idea. I used to hunt in the Mountains and roamed far from my truck and all traces of civilization. You never plan on getting lost or injured but it can and does happen every year to many hunters. Your pack and two or three ways to start a fire can save your life. I spent one terrible night in the forest after slipping in the snow and ice and falling down a slope taking care of my ankle pretty good. In the morning near frozen to death I managed to half slide half crawl don a long hill which much to my luck and suprise ended on a fire road. With my luck holding, a couple hunters in a jeep came along and took me to the nearest town and the doctors office. I was always prepared after that but it could have been my last hunt. I can,t stress enough that you must be able to start a fire.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

This all depends where I hunt.

I mainly carry only a fanny pack which includes:

-Small First Aid kit (couple bandaids and anibiotic)
-Tru-talker grunt tube
-Estrus bleat (can style)
-Hand Warmers
-2 Small stylus LED flashlights
-A couple different Scent wafers
-Golden Esterus & Scent Bombs (during rut)
-Bottle of Cover Scent
-Small pocket knife
-2 way radio w/ extra batteries
-Snacks (depending on length/type of hunt)

Note: I intentionally leave my knife and drag rope at the house or at the vehicle on purpose. I find that this makes me give the animal more time to bed up or expire than i usually would before I start tracking. It also gives me a chance to round up one of my buddies to do all the Draggin!