Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Caliber question for whitetail >

Caliber question for whitetail

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Caliber question for whitetail

Old 04-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
When I read the OP, it just didn't "feel" right to me so I've waited to see what some others think before I replied.

Excessive meat damage with a .270, and especially a .243 with a clean shot just doesn't sound right to me.

I've hunted with many people that have used a wide variety of cartridges over the years. The only time I've seen excessive meat damage is when someone has made a poorly placed shot.

I'm not trying to say that poor shot placement is the issue in this case. What I'm trying to say is that I just don't get it.

There should be very little, if any at all damaged meat with a well placed shot using either of the cartridges mentioned.
X2! Well placed shots with 100gr. Core-Loct's are not going to ruin much meat!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

The primary task is to get the game and not have it escape or suffer a wound.

Use enough gun.

Of course all bullets and shot have different effects as the strike angle and distance vary.

A gun writer tested the TSX or solid mono metal bullets and found that they were the slowest killers of deer.

The reason they are the slowest killers is that the bullet does not fragment.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

I have taken my last 8 deer with Barnes TSX & TTSX bullets and have found they kill as quick as C & C bullets. The longest trailing job was was about 50 yards and most were about 10 yards and a few were down where shot.

Meat damage has been less than with regular lead bullets.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

There was "less meat damage" because the mono's kill slower.

The damage kills the animal.

If you can aim to miss the meat and just hit the vitals there will be no "Meat Damage"!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

No Savage 99 they die because you destroy the vital organs or hit the CNS. I have had small entrance and exits hole with little meat damage and soup between.

My 50 yard recovery was because I hit the liver. I did a check on travel after shot with mono and c&c and found no difference in distance. These have been my observation and results.

On the other hand I do not worry about meat damage as long as the animal dies quickly.:
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

liver hits are always fatal, and for some reason they get sick very quickly when hit in the liver, they may live a while but don't go far. this has been my experience from shooting many at odd angles that hit the liver.
RR
Old 04-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Spike

I was having this conversation recently with a coworker. Look at how the newer high energy bullets work. They have a huge energy dump. My old school core locs, HP or FMJ hung together and made a good pass through, with less damage. Unless its a trophy shot I take double lung low and only lose some rib meat. Big trophy deer I will blow shoulders to make five yard drop.