HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What am I doing Wrong ?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/386229-what-am-i-doing-wrong.html)

CTJohnB 10-21-2013 04:07 PM

What am I doing Wrong ??

Hello, I have been hunting for 7 years now and I am wondering am I sitting in the wrong spots ??
I look for areas that show large amounts of sign such as droppings and lots of tracks, then I will pick a tree to set a stand, I have sat in oaks, I have sat in thick pines, laurels, tops of ridges, and depsite I am hunting state land I hardly see a deer !!! is it that there's few deer in my area or is it my strategy. as far as my scent control my gear stays on the cloths line all season it never see's the inside of my truck. the few times I have seen deer they were down wind and never bothered them a bit so I am good there, I am just wondering im sitting in a night activity area ? any ideas or advice to find more productive areas to place a stand would be a great help
Thank you for any and all advice
John

Murby 10-21-2013 07:12 PM

Just because a trail shows heavy use, doesn't mean its being used during hunting hours..
Also, deer tend to change their patterns as soon as hunting season starts..
You also have to sit almost perfectly still and quiet unless you're surrounded by something they can't see through.

There could be many things you're doing right and/or wrong. hard to say...

Wilcam47 10-21-2013 08:03 PM

what time are you coming into the stand/spot? What time are you leaving? How close to the trails are you? Are there acorns near? Are you using a bow, rifle or shotgun ? Can you use bait in your state?

rockport 10-21-2013 08:19 PM

Once you find the heavy deer sign try to figure out where they are coming from and move towards that. There might be less sign and less deer but more deer in the daylight.

With most of the deer activity being at night the place with the most sign might not necessarily be the best option during the day.

Just something to try.

Also try some off the wall areas. Places other hunters are likely to over look. Maybe a spot you(and hopefully everybody else) thought wasn't worth checking out or is to hard to get to.

Murby 10-21-2013 08:37 PM

My old favorite was to find an apple tree.. Time tested meat market there...

JasonL 10-21-2013 08:42 PM

I've never had much luck with State Land. My suggestion would be to make some friendship with some farmers/private land owners, and get permission to hunt there.

Valentine 10-22-2013 03:20 AM

Lot going by the wayside

Some just wait for the deer to come with their fixed sites. Some work harder and go where the deer are that day. Every half square mile is not equal. Some want it to be.

Some would ask why I was so lucky fishing. All were fishing in the same easy spot and waiting for the fish. Ones who were serious didn't want to fish the 20 or so spots I had covered.

cal516 10-22-2013 03:48 AM

Sounds like you got some good input already. I run into the same problem at times because I also hunt only public land. It's frustrating when I hear buddies tell me they have seen 20 deer and 12 of them bucks. I have been told that if you have well worn areas chances are those are night trails/activity area. Like someone already said follow those trails and see where they go and come from. In the AM get as close to bedding area as possible. You nearly do the same evenings. This way you "catch" the deer at first/last light. I had a favorite spot I hunted in the AM ... One day I said what te hell and turn my stand around and hunted it in the evening. To my left right at dark it sounded like a heard of cattle coming off the ridge. They were out of range but i finally found where they had moved to so I just adjusted as necessary. Also, keep a good look out in the distance. Deer may be in the area just not walking near your stand. I also like to "take a look around" after AM hunts. Do some late morning scouts. My buddy and I did that one morning and found a nice little area where the deer move through. He ended up shooting a huge six point the following morning. Keep at it and don't get frustrated. Public land is a b/*#h. You have no idea what other people are doing. Good luck!

olsaltydog 10-22-2013 05:30 AM

Few Ideas

1. Most states wildlife commissions will have a stock assessment paper that will give an idea of the deer count per square mile. This will give you an idea if you have a naturally low deer population or a high deer population. Some are broken up by county and such but read the info and see what the biologist have learned.

2. Get out a couple times with an experienced and trusted buddy. I have to admit i been hunting this being my fourth season solo and it has been rough. 0 deer so far solo but I know alot and have been refining what i know and seeing more deer and have gotten more opportunities since. Found out their is a difference in going out with my father as a kid and going out solo as an adult and applying what you know. For example one place i was hunting in the morning had a ton of sign the deer where there, scrapes, new rubs had it all. Father came out to take a look and first thing he said was this spot you should hunt in the evening not morning. Then showed me why, missed details. Not that i was wrong i would most likely see a deer eventually but would waste a lot of days waiting where as in the evening I would probably see more. To prove that point he sat there that evening and tagged a nice doe. This was 3 weeks ago. Old man is still teaching me a thing or two and i am glad for it.

cal516 10-22-2013 05:49 AM

Salty dog---- what were the missed details? I'm in my 7th season as an adult. Never hunted as a kid. I just had a buddy take me out a few years back and have been hunting ever since. And I could not agree more. Having someone guide you and getting out solo are two completely different things!