Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My new work schedule

Old 09-30-2003, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default My new work schedule

I will be working 3:30pm to 1:30 am. I will probably need to sleep until 8 so I wont be able to get into the woods till 9 and hunt until 1 the latest. Any tips you can share? I hunt on the ground and prefer to track(This will be for muzzleloading and rifle hunting)

Thanks in advance
Old 09-30-2003, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My new work schedule

SwampBuck,

I' ve run into a similar problem. Thing is, I' m working Rotating shifts. 2pm - 10pm for 2 weeks, 10pm - 6am for 2 weeks, and 6am - 2pm for 2 weeks.

Here' s my prediciment: When I work 10pm - 6am, I have to drive home from work. That' s another hour. Puts me home around 7ish. It gets light here right around then, putting me in my stand right at the prime time of the day. Kinda ticks me off.

Anyway, what I would do, Sleep when you get home to about 6:45 or so, head out to the woods setup right before light, hunt until 10ish, head home and catch a few zzz' s before you have to get up again for work.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

Vacation days?

Snow is a factor there I presume? Wow, thats tough.

I can only think of trying to cut tracks by traversing open areas, then begin tracking. But then again by the time you notice the tracks, you could be had. If you have any luck you may cross paths with a semi-old track(hrs old), and see if the deer holed up in any defined area that you would be able to stalk.

Still hunt later in midday?

I dont like either of my suggestions to the point I feel confident, but thats all I can think of.

Are there other hunters on the property? That has a major impact on your options. If you can pattern them, without the deer being pressured by hunters, then you will have an idea of where they will be located, and plan acdcordingly.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:36 PM

It sounds like your hunting situation is similar to mine as far as style and location. I' m not in the same boat as you with the schedule, but i can tell you that the hours from 9:00 to 1:00 can be prime for buck movement. My biggest bucks have been shot between 9 and 10, and I shot a nice 8 pointer two years ago right at noon.

You should have no problem finding a fresh track to follow once you get out there (if there' s snow). Since you don' t have all day to track, you want to be picky about which track you choose to follow. If the buck (assuming you' re after a buck) seems to be moving fast and steady looking for does, it might be best to pass on him and look for an easier target. I assume you are good at telling the approximate age of a track - when time is of the essence you want to take up a track that is smoking fresh so you have a better chance of seeing the deer. The older the track, the less the chance (usually), of catching up with that deer.

Still, you may want to follow it just the same (especially if it' s big) to see if he slows to feed or check does. Also (as you probably know) following one track will most always lead you to more. If he is heading for a likely bedding area, and the track meanders and he' s just poking along, feeding or rubbing, etc. than that' s a buck you should be able to catch up to. He' s likely going to bed down for a while to rest, which may be the chance you need. When the track tells you he' s slowing down, go very slow and pick apart the woods with your eyes - he could be watching you!

Tough schedule, but you can still make it happen. Just be persistant and never give up (oh yeah, and pray for snow)!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:51 PM

To give you a little encouragement - this buck was shot at around 9:30 in the late muzzleloader season, after I had been in the woods little more than half an hour!

Old 09-30-2003, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say still hunting would be your best option early. During late pre rut, rut and early post rut you could try sitting on funnels, travel routes, etc in deep cover quietly or use rattling/calling techniques. I too have found this time the buck are on the move during the 10-2 timeframe and have harvested most of mine 11-1 when rattling techniques have been used. How I have found success is setting up close to bucks bedrooms(not to close but as close as you can get without spooking them). I use a slow, methodical approach, stopping every 50 yards and just listening...once I reach my location I sometime set up scent wicks or just sit down and let the woods settle. Then start rattling, with your timeframe a spot everyday would be perfect...just don' t rattle the same spot time and time again. Post rut the bucks are equally moving during the light of the day (unless unseasonably warm out) and this time can be very productive spent over in cover food sources, such as meadows, slough bottoms, etc. They have been put through the ringer and need to pack on some fat they lost chasing does...by far post rut and food sources account for a lot of success on a yearly basis. I would not sit on open fields, as with rut comes hunting pressure and often deer are feeding under total darkness come this time of year in open areas. Don' t kid yourself they eat lots during the daylight hours, you just need to find the places in which they feel safe. I have seen tons of deer in wooded meadows all day long during this stage of the game. One thing you might consider if legal is baiting such a spot..not sure how you feel or if it is legal but another post rut daytime attractant(especially when food is scarce in the safety zones).

Good Luck