Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

APPLE JUICE & VANILLA

Old 09-16-2003, 09:17 PM

Default APPLE JUICE & VANILLA

Hey,

I was promted to start thinking about attractents after reading Night Hawks post i.e. the apple tree.

Question:

Do you think it would be worth using 100% pressed apple juice as an attactent?

Appliction:

In a store bought all purpose spray bottle.

What do you all think?

Old 09-16-2003, 09:24 PM

Default RE: APPLE JUICE...

Its worth a try. If nothing else, the bugs will sure love you.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:47 PM

I can tell you this, on two different occasions I have had an apple juice snack pack that I brought in so would have something to drink while hunting for long periods. One year I spilled the juice and sure enough a very nice buck came off the ridge that I was hunting near by to look for the source of the smell. I am convinced it works.

Todd
Old 09-17-2003, 03:16 AM

Funny you mention apple juice. An older gentleman that visitted my camp last year said he would pop a pin hole in a can and let it just run down the bark of a tree. He said the deer came right in and licked it off the tree. He also said peanut butter worked. This is an area that has no type of crops,, just hay fields, bush and an apple tree here and there, cows are everywhere. He said he had his deer every year within the first hour of the start of every season. While he was having coffee at his kitchen table!
Old 09-17-2003, 05:41 AM
Dominant Buck

jred ,
I sometimes use apple cider(fresh pressed juice , unfiltered) as a doe attractant after the primary rut . This is sprayed from a pocket sized trigger spray bottle around my set up , along with the occasional spritz into the air . It works better when allowed to ferment slightly so as to smell like ripening apples . The juice can be made more attractive if a small amount of vanilla , sorghum , or persimmon juice is added to the final mix . Filter through fine mesh cloth before putting it in the bottle .

The use of a food attractant far from it' s normal source has not spooked any deer where I hunt . It doesn' t seem to attract mature bucks , but it will bring in does and younger bucks . There are no apple trees where I set up , or sorghum in the nearby field , so I' m assuming that it functions partly as a curiosity lure as well .
Old 09-17-2003, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend that uses 100% apple juice. He puts it in a plastic spray bottle and when he gets close to his stand he sprays it on branches about 3-4 ft. off the ground. He uses it as an attractant. He says it' s natural and cheap and the deer will definitely come close once they get a scent of his spray. Especially if they cut the track heading in a different direction. I can only go by this one friend but he has been hunting for years in New England and has been very successful. His feeling is he is convinced it will not hurt but he says he cannot say that about other products on the market.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:15 AM

Something else that works is to take applesauce and put it on rotting stumps, mix it with some syrup, peanut butter, or what ever you can think would bring them in.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

I walk through an Orchard on most hunts and pick a few apples and rub them into the bark of the surrounding trees to my stand. I think it helps or at least covers up my scent.

One Shot One Kill
Old 09-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

I have a question I hunt in Maine .... no baiting for deer hunting. If I was to put out a small amount of PB with the juice isn' t that baiting still? Spraying the juice on the other hand I hadn' t thought of and don' t see how that could be considered baiting we can use sent sprays like tinks 69 ect. Thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think if you put out the pb and spray it is baiting. If the deer can get a hold of it and eat or drink it, it is baiting. On the other hand if they can only smell something, than It shouldn' t be considered baiting and that is my opinion.

Quick Reply: APPLE JUICE & VANILLA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.