HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How do you hunt when its full moon? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/375864-how-do-you-hunt-when-its-full-moon.html)

Cypress32 11-28-2012 11:34 AM

How do you hunt when its full moon?

I have tried google white tail hunting and full moon and tried every single thing they mentioned over the last few years but full moon seems to be my kryptonite. Even when I have one fall on the first week of the season when there hasnt been hardly any pressure yet I still see nothing.

I have heard they only walk during the day so I pack a lunch and hunt tree lines all day and still see nothing. I have heard they walk all night feeding so I hunt bedding areas in the morning trying to cacth one coming back from feeding. That doesnt work either. Everything on the internet just contridicts what other people say so should I just say hell with it and hunt like I normally do? Or do deer actually change their patterns with the moon?

When its a full moon and assuming normal hunting conditions how do ya'll hunt? Do you just hunt like any other time or do you actually change where you hunt or what times you hunt?

MD DEERHUNTER 11-28-2012 01:28 PM

Regardless of what kind of moon it is I get in the woods early as possible and stay late as possible. But, the last full moon I hunted on which was early muzzleloader season I saw a 6-point buck right at 12:00PM.

Cypress32 11-28-2012 02:22 PM

I think they are coming out too late Im gonna have to only hunt mornings. Had one come out to my 4-wheeler right before dark. He blew at it but didnt seem to alarmed and just walked back into the woods and I could hear him feeding and eventually he just walked back towards a known bedding area behind me. I swear thats deer #4 at this same stand thats come up to my 4wheeer. I outta just bathe in cover scent and sit on the damn thing with some buckshot. Its probably that same big 8 pointer because he isnt bothered one bit by it. Usually he just gives it a little blow but I never hear him running off until Im getting out of the stand and sometimes not even until Im almost back to it. Hell I outta put antlers from a previous kill on the seat facing the woods where he comes out, spray my 4-wheeler with some dominant buck and see if I can hear him ram it. Then when he knocks himself out finish him off with my .45

Will try same stand tomorrow morning before class. Had pics last week of a 6 pointer I let walk at the end of last year's season. Seems hes a nice 8 now and only likes feeding in the mornings just like he did last year and only started showing up in late November. He had a friend with him, another nice 6 but havent seen him yet. Hope no one got him cause he should be nice as well and with rut over they should be hanging out together again.

not the dogs 11-28-2012 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cypress32 (Post 4009959)
I have tried google white tail hunting and full moon and tried every single thing they mentioned over the last few years but full moon seems to be my kryptonite. Even when I have one fall on the first week of the season when there hasnt been hardly any pressure yet I still see nothing.

I have heard they only walk during the day so I pack a lunch and hunt tree lines all day and still see nothing. I have heard they walk all night feeding so I hunt bedding areas in the morning trying to cacth one coming back from feeding. That doesnt work either. Everything on the internet just contridicts what other people say so should I just say hell with it and hunt like I normally do? Or do deer actually change their patterns with the moon?

When its a full moon and assuming normal hunting conditions how do ya'll hunt? Do you just hunt like any other time or do you actually change where you hunt or what times you hunt?

If you find out please let me know. I've done the same with no luck.

Jim Burns 11-28-2012 03:10 PM

I have found hunting to be poor on a full moon with deer and bear. I beleive they feed all night during a full moon and move very little during the day. But that is just my opinion.

VAhuntr 11-28-2012 03:57 PM

I saw quite a bit of deer movement between 11:30 and 12:30 on Monday even though it was not quite a full moon. It has been my experience deer will move 5 or 6 hours after sunrise during a full moon. The hard part is they don't seem to move far and you have got to be in the right place when they do.

Cypress32 11-29-2012 01:33 AM

Just hit the field by my house with my spot light they all over the place. Gonna hunt a stand thats has food+cover. Also its 30 outside. Dont know if deer like moving very far in the cold so this stand should be perfect as the food is only like 25-50 feet from where they bed down.

Wayspr 11-29-2012 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cypress32 (Post 4010013)
Had one come out to my 4-wheeler right before dark. He blew at it but didnt seem to alarmed and just walked back into the woods and I could hear him feeding and eventually he just walked back towards a known bedding area behind me. I swear thats deer #4 at this same stand thats come up to my 4wheeer.

If you can hear a deer by your bike you're parking too close to your stand. Try parking farther away walking in.

Valentine 11-29-2012 03:49 AM

The Theory of When to hunt deer

I think a lot of theories on when to hunt are really theories on when not to hunt. Somebody always was looking for a reason for not spending time in the woods, during the downtime. The time when absolutely nothing was seen. And that takes too much endurance for some.
I never shot a deer when I absolutely expected it to cross my path. I harvested them early; harvested them late.

Much of the time I was in the middle of nowhere for me, so it was hunting from dawn to dusk, with no break from the woods. That terrible habit of mine meant harvesting a deer in the middle of the day, when deer aren't "suppose" to travel.

VAhuntr 11-29-2012 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4010073)
hunt 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM, thats my primetime.
RR

Gonna give that a try today. Get my son off to school and head to the woods!