Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BAR 7mm-08 whitetail ammo

Old 08-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Spike

Default BAR 7mm-08 whitetail ammo

Looking to pick my ammo for my new rifle for this years whitetail season. I recently picked up a camo Browning BAR in 7mm-08. I hunt NW Maine and the deer up there can be very big bodied. Firstly, I was curious if anyone here has a BAR in that caliber that has a suggestion for what shoots well out of theirs. I realize they are all different and I definitely plan on trying a few different choices to see what works well in my gun but I guess I'm looking for some suggestions for a starting point. I like to take em in the shoulder so I've been considering trying the federal trophy bonded tip because they aren't all copper but have less led than say a nosler partition so it might be tough enough to get through bone but still expand. My concern is that if I hit them behind the shoulder and don't hit bone will there be a big enough exit wound to have a good blood trail? And on the other side of that, would a nosler partition go through two shoulders and exit a large whitetail if I do get a shoulder shot? Let me know what y'all think. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

You've got no worries mate!!!

My brother has used the 7mm-08 since it came out, I believe the year was 1980...During that time he has used different ammo and keeps coming back
to the 140gr Remington CoreLokts...I'll bet he has killed over 200 deer with
that loading...He also ventures each year to either Texas or Saskatchewan, never
a problem...

There are alot of very good deer calibers out there but you will be hard pressed to find one much better than a 7mm-08...
Old 08-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might also try the Federal Power Shock 150 grainer!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

i wouldnt shoulder shot, you ruin a good bit of meat, there will be a lot of bone shard's and you'll ruin most. people kill deer with bows, you'll be fine if you shoot them behind the shoulder. you should be able to track a deer anyways IMO
Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

Nearly 20yrs ago I had a fluke happen, I was sitting on stand early one morning & felt the urge to move. I climbed down & started easing around. 30 mins later I snuck down a weedline on a terrace in a field, as I peeked thru the weeds there 95yds away stood a great 8ptr. My Model 7 Mtn Rifle 7-08 was stoked with 140grn Nolser Parts I had handloaded. A "baby pizz shot!" I thought. I placed the crosshairs on the shoulder & let fly!

The buck jumped 6ft into the air, landed flat on his belly, wheeled around & headed for the woods on his three remaining, operating legs. I knew this was going to be a simple tracking job... an hour & 500yds I later I lost the scant & very infrequent bloodtrail. I'm STILL baffled to this day as to what happened but the evidence sure seems to suggest the NP came apart as it went thru the shoulder & probably only took out 1 lung, otherwise I just dont believe he wouldv'e made it that far nor would it have left such an iffy bloodtrail had it taken out both lungs.

Prior to that I had taken ALOT of deer with bullets that were considerably less "well constructed" than the NP, but I sure couldn't understand why this day was different when conditions were otherwise PERFECT! THAT very day I began my search for a better bullet... & ended up eventually becoming a "lover of all things Barnes".

I can vouch that a 250# whitetail is just flatout tougher to kill than a 150# whitetail! My west TN swamp has plenty of both & my boys & guests have drilled the does & smaller bodied bucks with NO problems with their 243s. But when the body weights go over 220 their 243s (shooting TSXs) WONT fully penetrate a true swamp monster! (Both of my sons now sport new iron for this fall, for my 12yr old a 7-08 & for my 16yr old the grand ol 45-70)

The 7-08 is a GREAT cal & all one needs for ANY deer ANYWHERE but I recommend you feed it well. I'd stick with solid copper/gilding metal bullets. Essentially every bulletmaker now offers a Barnes style copy so if you are brand loyal you still have plenty of options if you reload & MANY choices exist OTC as well.

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...le.aspx?id=711

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...tx-ammunition/

http://www.shopcorbon.com/DPX-Rifle/...20/400/Product

http://WWW.cpcartridge.com/cpcart/in...82elc62vke57t7

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-08-...Superformance/

The 7-08 doesn't kill with dazzling, double ought warp speed. (tho it's surprisingly flat shooting!) But it is typically SCARY ACCURATE & most rifles it's offered in cary VERY well. I think you'll enjoy it if you properly feed it!
HL
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Spike

Thank ya'll for all the insight. I actually found an interesting video on YouTube that tests a bunch of different federal bullets with ballistics gel. They even put different big game hydes and even bone in the gel. Pretty cool stuff. Check it out if anyone is interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMKve...e_gdata_player
I guess the reality is that every situation is gonna have variables. Every animal, every shot is gonna be different in some way shape or form. I guess the best thing for me to do is pick a couple different bullet types that I think might get the job done and try em through my gun. Then pick which ever one shoots the best and gives me the most confidence in making a good shot when the time comes. Thanks again everyone. Feel free to keep the suggestions coming if anyone has some ideas they'd like to share.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

The first thing with that buck that went 500 yards was that he should not have been followed up immediately if he took off like that and wasn't dead in the first 100 yards. All that is doing is pushing a deer that would have probably laid down and stiffened up, never to get up again. He definitely wasn't hit through both lungs if he went that far and was still going when sign ran out.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The first thing with that buck that went 500 yards was that he should not have been followed up immediately if he took off like that and wasn't dead in the first 100 yards. All that is doing is pushing a deer that would have probably laid down and stiffened up, never to get up again. He definitely wasn't hit through both lungs if he went that far and was still going when sign ran out.
Tg in the interest of space I left out the part where after the shot the buck ran BACK across the field 100yds to the edge, then stopped for a few seconds. I fully expected him to drop right there but he then limped into the woods out of sight. ( & I tell everyone ALWAYS put another hole in them ANYTIME they stop yet are still on their feet. ) I then waited 10-15 minutes (by watch!) before taking the trail. I have successfully stalked deer with my bow so I know how to slip up on critters. For some reason that buck never laid down! Never found the first spot he laid down.

I agree, he COULDN'T have continued on with both lungs deflated. I've know elk can do pretty amazing things with both lungs ripped to shreds but never known whitetails to have such abilities!

Just one of those WTH moments I reckon.
HL
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's another $.02. The 7mm/08 Rem. is a fine round for deer ... of any size. I have seen 300# + mule deer dropped cleanly at 250-300 yards ... no problem. So killing a pig of a norther white tail is not going to be the issue. Bullet grouping is.

There has been a lot of advice on which manufacturer and bullet and bullet weight that you should use. None of it is bad advice, but I want to add a twist.

You would be wise to try as many different manufacturer/bullet type and bullet weight combinations as your pocket book can manage. Keep the bullet weight in the 130 gr. - 150 gr. range. Every rifle I have ever sighted in has preferred a certain load or loads over others as far as tight groups. This has been known since Moby Dick was a minnow. I offer a particular example of a BAR in 30.06 Spr. that is owned by one of my best, and most frequently hunted with buddies. He initially sighted in his with a very popular factory ammo. This ammo would not group better than a miserable 5 MOA! He was dispondent to say the least and was convinced that he had a dud BAR.

I made this same suggestion to him. Admittedly he went overboard and showed up at the range next week with 12 different boxes of factory ammo. He insisted that we shot 3 shot groups with every one of these, even though we had a winner out of the fourth box tried. We got groups from absolutely miserable to darned near perfect. At least 6 of these ammos grouped very good to excellent, while 2 grouped horrific, with one of those "key holing" at 100 yards.

His happened to "like" one of the "premiums" that was loaded with a 180 gr. Nosler Partition. It grouped a consistent and a solid 1 MOA. Which ain't bad !

So, try several and I think you will come across a great grouping round. Once you have that one identified, head back and buy a few boxes out of the same lot number. Usually all will shoot about the same with in a particular lot.

As far as penetration .... I am old school. Ain't nothin' wrong with a Nosler Partition. Hard hitting. Super penetration. And excellent mushrooming to about 2X the caliber.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised nobody has recommended Nosler Accubonds yet. I've shot everything from coyotes to elk with them and they ALWAYS perform and with Ballistic Tip accuracy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.