Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thoughts on deer scents/lures

Old 03-24-2017, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

I always felt that setting up a scent where I expect deer to be would just wind up spreading my scent around the area.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the problem is, the best time to use it is when the doe deers are in heat. Seems like you would have enough of the real thing out there to make the bottled stuff no bueno for bucks. Like fishing a lake that has tons of bait fish. And you have a lure from Walmart.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:43 AM
Spike

When used correctly, mock scrapes can be very effective. I've been doing it for years and I've watched many bucks, both big and small, change their patterns to come and "check" my mock scrapes. My choice of scent depends on where the deer are at in the rut. I have noticed that Tinks #69 seems to be the best all-around scent, for me at least. I also use a few different Wildlife Research Center products.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Spike

I am 68 and been deer hunting long time I think a lot of hunters buy tink s and other well known lures my way of thinking is there is so much of that in woods deer have to think man is here I smell that stuff again I don t care to draw then I use nat dirt leaves dig up fresh track cedar shavings put in freezer bags poke holes in it and put in gear my concern is locate deer then mother nature do rest got 1 other secret give later
Old 08-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Spike

I have had success both with and without using scents, whether those were the deciding factor in my hunts is inconclusive. I have also had bucks stop dead downwind and lip curl from doe-in-rut lures and other times the scent made no measurable impact. Tinks 69 and Myles Keller Doe-in-Heat Gel had positive reactions from bucks in my past experiences. However, Mojotex summed it up well in his final comment i believe.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Spike

I use Tink’s 69. It’s my first choice!