Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Using A Grunt Call During The Rut >

Using A Grunt Call During The Rut

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Using A Grunt Call During The Rut

Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Using A Grunt Call During The Rut

I decided to use a grunt call for the first time this year and was impressed with how well it works during the peak of the rut. Being a rookie hunter I had doubts about when and how much to use it, but trial and error helped me figure it out with some success in the end. One thing I learned was not to over call just like Turkey hunting,soft brief calls seemed to work best early in the morning when it is very quite in the woods. I managed to call in at least two Bucks and several curious Does with some bleets very close to my stand. It made it more exciting for me watching their reactions and having the Bucks respond back several times. If you have not tried it I would encourage you to give it a try after reading up on it as I did and watching other hunters with good skills do it with good results.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

My experience with them are overall favorable. I have had smaller bucks turn and run off after hearing a deep grunt. I assume that they have had their butts kicked by a larger deer and wanted no part of another one.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I love grunting...especially mid rut. I have pulled a few bucks out of the thick with a few low grunts. Just don't overdo it
Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

I've had mixed results. I've had bucks run right in, and I've had them run straight away too. I've used it less and less year to year though. I still carry it, it stops the deer almost always once they're in range. My call of choice now is The Can. I've had good success witht that.
-Jake
Old 02-15-2012, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Deer make a wide variety of vocal sounds. many of them change meaning depending on body language or other communication activity such as a foot stomp or tail twitch.

Calling may be prodctive, counter productive or produce no results at all. Much depends on the caller knowing what vocal sound to make, how to make it, when to make and when, most important of all, to shut up.

I have been calling deer for about 35-years. I have learned a great deal about it. What I do most of the time now, is nothing. Deer, just as it is with turkeys or elk, become call shy. I occasionally use a friction call, doe contact call during the pre-rut and that is about it.

I mostly shoot does having gotten my fill of trophy hunting and have no need to call them. However, last year, just for fun, I started fooling with two small, 2.5-year old bucks. They would respond to a young buck grunt, a doe bleat, a fawn bleat, both doe and buck mews and a doe contact call.

I don't believe you will find that true of a mature buck.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

i got my first buck to come in with a grunt call that is the biggest deer ive gotten to come in and ive been doing it for 6 years it only scored 77 1/2. otherwise ive had several other smaller bucks eather come in. my dad had a small six grunting back that was 20 yds from him but i was 200 yds from me and i was the one grunting
Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that most of the time a call is not a great idea,but during the rut when their jacked up it seems to work at times.The Buck that responded to mine was in cover so thick I would never have seen him if he had not come to take a look. When he poped out he looked riled to a degree,head up,eyes focused and ears back a little. A doe was near by and I think he was a little ticked off at the prospect of another Buck being near.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have had mixed results as well. Anywhere from bucks running to bucks walking right up to the base of my tree.

One thing I have noticed is that they seem to pin point where the call came from. Once I have called it is much more difficult to stay undetected.

I also caused a fight between two small bucks using a grunt call. I was between them when I grunted and the buck who was with the doe thought that the other buck had grunted. He left the doe and came back and got into a fight with the trailing buck.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 AM
Spike

Calling all depends on the time of the rut, time of the day, and what mood that particular deer is in. Some bucks are very agresive and will fall for a grunt almost every time, while some deer wont respond at all. Alot of varibles will factor in when calling for whitetail deer.