Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
thoughts on making a sugar block for deer >

thoughts on making a sugar block for deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

thoughts on making a sugar block for deer

Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Spike

Default thoughts on making a sugar block for deer

I was thinking of using a hard candy recipe which is basically sugar, light corn syrup and water, to make a sugar block to use as a deer attractant. I was probably gonna throw in some vanilla or anise flavoring. What do you guys think? Now before someone out there starts bashing me for feeding deer something unhealthy keep in mind that a lot of attractants out there are full of sugar and have no real nutritional value.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

I get my blocks for like $5-$7 on sale. Not worth the time, trouble, and money, but to each their own. You can also always use livestock blocks...
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think you would be better off making mineral lick sites. atleast then you would be feeding more than ants.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sugar for deer

What are you trying to do? Give them high blood pressure, diabetes, and a shorter life without harvesting.

Kidding, but no really.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would simply put out some different mineral like Luck Buck that will help in Antler Growth and pour some Buck Jam on stumps to attract Deer,by the time You put all the time and energy into making a big old Sugar Block than realize the Deer would rather simply get the salt and mineral from out of the ground and dirt.

I put out simple salt blocks and let them disolve into the ground or on top of old tree stumps,their cheap,last a long time and really draw the Deer year round...another thing I use is an Arm & Hammer Salt Lick Recipe that works great and is also used year round.

Arm & Hammer Salt Lick

1 or 2 Boxes of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
40 lb box of Rock Salt or even Water Softener Pelts/Salt
A Shovel or hand Hoe

You find a good spot in the woods where the Deer feel secure and safe and dig up a spot in the ground in a 3X3 or 4X4 circle breaking up the ground as fine as You can.Take a box of the Arm & Hammer SWS and spread 1/2 of it on the dirt mixing it in with the shovel,then take around 20lbs of the salt and spread it on the dirt and top it off with the rest of the A & H SWS.We usually put a little corn or some type of grain to attract the Deer to the spot so they find the A&H salt lick if allowed in Your State?

You can refresh the salt lick every few months or as need,once You get a few good rains the ingredients will mix into the ground and the Deer will hit it at their convience,we have also added a little mineral (Lucky Buck) to the licks to enhance them.There's something in the A&H Super Washing Soda that draws the Deer in more and enhances the salt to be even more desireable?

Last edited by GTOHunter; 02-05-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

You will get more bear than anything if they are there. They will chew it up in a few days.