Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
where should I look for shed antlers? >

where should I look for shed antlers?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where should I look for shed antlers?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default where should I look for shed antlers?

OK my turkey cam took this pic a few days ago of 3 deer that Im pretty sure are bucks because Im sure the does would be a little thicker since they would be carrying now weeks away from giving birth. Where would be a good place to look for their racks?

Towards the end of the season I saw some pretty nice 6 pointers and a few 8s that I never shot and Id like to walk around and look for their old racks.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 02-25-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta tell ya, it looks like a doe and 2 fawns to me. That being said, I'd look for sheds in the area that the deer spent most of their time. That would be in a bedding area or feeding area that they would have used during the late winter/early spring.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

Most of the bedding areas here are on the east side of a hill that has grass or brush on it so they can see and get the morning sun.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

I'm with a doe, possibly two does and a fawn. Hoever, I can tell you where to find shed antlers if you look at the right time. They will be where they fell off.

I just had to.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

I always look for sheds where there is the most droppings. I almost never find a shed though.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

I have had good luck finding sheds at fence crossings. I think that the impact of a buck jumping a fence helps jar antlers loose.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the looks of its snout that is most likely a doe. In Illinois the does drop fawns in early June and I'd have to think its about the same time in S. Carolina or a little earlier but she has plenty of time for the belly to grow.

I take a look anywhere deer bed or have to exert any extra energy, like fence crossing, creeks and ditches. Give those places a short first then check feeding areas and you should come across some.

It is a strange year for deer, there a decent amount of bucks still sporting at least one antler in Illinois. This warm weather has got them all screwed up.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was lucky this year and found 2 Sheds so far,both were found on the back side of open field edges and between food plots.Last year I found a Shed out in an open CRP Field
where the Deer would come out from the Neighbors property in the late evenings and cross thru to our Pond and salt/mineral licks.I have also found a Shed along a Creek Bank where the Deer would jump and cross.

Main thing is to go where the Deer travel,cross fences and creeks,where they bed and look all around any food or water sources.I always take a different path each time when looking for sheds and I take a different path/trail coming back home!

I had trail camera pic's of 3 Bucks traving together on 3-10-2012,1st Buck was big bodied and had lost both antlers,2nd Buck was a Spike and had both sides still on,3rd and final Buck was a nice 8-Point Buck with a few points broken off but it was still holding on to both sides.....so it's been a strange year with all the warm mild winter we had and several Bucks still carrying their head gear?