Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Where should i look for shed antlers? >

Where should i look for shed antlers?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where should i look for shed antlers?

Old 08-10-2003, 02:19 PM

Default Where should i look for shed antlers?

i am looking to find a few antlers to use for rattlilng and i have ample access to many different types of habitat for the deer. i was wondering if anyone knew if deer had a prefered spot to drop thier antlers?
i.e. like what kind of trees do they like, or swamps or pine clusters?

i would use the ones i harvested form the bucks i' ve shot, but im only 15 and havent shot a buck yet.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Where should i look for shed antlers?

You won' t find many anywhere right now but in the early spring the best places to look are around fields they feed in, One of the best places are around the edge of alfalfa fields, we have found some dandys while fertilizing alfalafa in the very early spring.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:00 PM

I also think it is a little too late in the year to have a good chance at finding sheds, but look in places where deer spend most of their time. A grid search will help alot, because at some angles it is hard to see an antler, but from another you can see it rather easily. Also, look right after a rain because it flattens leaves and makes antlers easier to see. If you really need rattling antlers, either buy a commercial pair or a rattling bag. They produce better sound than shed antlers anyways.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:33 PM

You can even make a rattling bag. Cedar strips 1/4 inch square and 6 inches long.
You' ll need about 12. They must be square, not round. Make a small bag out of Jean material, large enough for the strips to move easily in it. When made, place the bag between you palms and rub them together quickly, then slowly. By adjusting you speed, you can vary the sound quite well. If you want a deeper sound, make the sticks 8 inches. As the sticks try and rotate in the bag, being square, they put out quite a bit of noise. Give it a try, and remember, they' re custom made just for you.
Russ
Old 08-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Let me put it this way, where theres smoke theres fire.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like how trac 209 put it , but it is a lil too late