HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   moon overhead & moon underfoot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/33818-moon-overhead-moon-underfoot.html)

jason3434 07-23-2003 12:15 PM

moon overhead & moon underfoot

how do I determine when the moon is overhead or underfoot. Is it the major times on the solunar tables? And is it really neccesary to schedule hunting times around these predictions? I know there are other factors, such as food plots and bedding areas, so If I have a stand in the middle of a food plot would I benefit from going on the predicted times. Here are some pics of my stand...the back is a food plot with soy beans...and the front has a small cornfield.

jason3434 07-23-2003 12:18 PM

RE: moon overhead & moon underfoot

here is the small cornfield... any suggestions would be helpful... p.s. I have a permit to hunt right now because the deer have been eating my crops. They are always eating the soybeans, but its hard for me to catch them.

timbercruiser 07-23-2003 12:19 PM

Never heard of an underfoot moon..... I don' t especially like to hunt during the full moon time, but I usually just hunt regardless.

jsasker 07-23-2003 03:17 PM

Get out there and hunt!You can hunt right now and your here asking us what to do?

thundermug 07-23-2003 03:39 PM

Overhead is when it is as high inthe sky as it can get, underfoot means it' s on the other side of the world. Wether you should hunt feeding areas or transition areas depends on the moon position. Overhead and underfoot are the same as for where you should hunt. and wether it is rising or falling will also describe the hunting area.

Solunar tables will describe major and minor feeding times yet not all deer will be as predictable as those tables, however fish will be.

Hawgz 07-23-2003 05:15 PM

Underfoot happens 12 hours after overhead....

whitetails & muskies 07-23-2003 06:12 PM

Hawgz hit on the bullseye.

Full moon, I have defintely noticed much more activity in mid day hours, with much less than normal at prime time hours. " Supposidly" full moon underfoot is prime time. That would make sense, because there have been times when during fall prime time, and a full moon, that I went out of the cabin at midnight to take whizz and the full moon is high and bright....next day the morning sucks and the mid day is good.

But, and this is the big but, I get out when I can in fall.....like I have said before, I would pay anything for about 9 months of November!! There just isn' t enough time.

Rickmur 07-23-2003 06:18 PM

I think Deer & Deer Hunting magazine offer the moon guide for sale or maybe as a gift for subscribing ?

loner 07-24-2003 07:40 AM

go to espn outdoors for a solunar chart with this info.i print several of these from different sites beginning in oct. and compare the best hunting times then use the time periods that are close to one another.sometimes they are on the money and other times they are useless.it depends on food availability,location,weather,pre-rut,rut,post rut etc.these charts are avilable on most outdoors websites.

kevin1 07-24-2003 08:30 AM

I' ve only observed what I would call a slight increase in activity that might be attributed to moon phase . Or it might not . There are much more reliable indicators than the Farmer' s Almanac , focus more on scouting rubs , scrapes , and bedding areas . Your eyes and ears will tell you more than a solunar table ever will , and they' re right more often .