Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 moon overhead & moon underfoot >

moon overhead & moon underfoot

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

moon overhead & moon underfoot

Old 10-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Just curious why you think the full moon would have more impact than other phases of the moon?
I was just simply making refernce to the moons afect on water, its a strange thing. I'ld rather get to know a certain hunting area and be familiar with the wildlife habits. Patterns certainly change, but once a history (either just being familar with the deer or if journals are kept) is built of game movement we can have an expectation of what they will do.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Here you go, prime example why I don't go by the moon other than full which I hunt all day.

Got a call from father in law yesterday. He spotted a shooter crossing the road from where my wifes stand is located and heading down to a swamp where my stand is located. At 6:15 AM he was on the move. Well look at the nice hunting time apps I have on my phone. Full Moon (check) best time to hunt 11pm to 1am and 11am to 1pm moon overhead and moon underfoot time. Wrong!!! phone gizmo, lunar go byer's. Had I not been working for a living I would have been in my stand and would have seen this here buck most likely @ 1st light.

Now, we did have some weather move in. Thats why Mr. Buck was on his feet. I have trail cams at both stand sites and it would be cool to see his face at both.

So like many other I pay no attention to Lunar data (except full, which I hunt all day)

My Golden rule:
Barometric pressure is a sure fire tactic for all things game. Storm comming they are gonna move, storms leaving they are gonna move. Storm here they are not going to move, storm gone high pressure sets in they may move they may not.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Full moon is what some mischievious high school kids do out of car windows. If this is happening next to your stand, best to wrap it up for the day.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know very little about the moons effect upon the movements of deer compaired to those of you who have hunted and studied this issue for years. I have been out twice this week and this is what I have noticed since the moon has been full. No deer movement in my area of southern Indiana in the evening hours in spots I almost always see many deer. I have hunted the woods where they pass through to get to the corn fields and they seem to be moving into them after dark. After leaving the woods I drive to the areas where they cross over into the woods from their bedding areas then the fields and wait for them to pass and have seen nothing. But this will not stop me from getting out there because I know they will use these travel corridors yet again just before dark sooner or later. The sunset last night was excellent to watch from my tree stand. I have a couple of pics that show where I normally see them out in the fields.
Attached Thumbnails  moon overhead & moon underfoot-31280001.jpg    moon overhead & moon underfoot-31280003.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by doetrain
I have been out twice this week and this is what I have noticed since the moon has been full. No deer movement in my area of southern Indiana in the evening hours in spots I almost always see many deer.
Exactly what I have experienced. As well I notice that my game cameras show very little movement during the day even in the woods. I just don't like full moons lol.