Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Elevated box blind plans??

Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Spike

Default Elevated box blind plans??

Hello, I am interested in building an elevated box blind for next deer season. I would like to build the stand at least 15-17 feet off of the ground. I was just wondering if anyone has any plans for building this type of stand? If so, I would love to see them. Thanks. Steve.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

We have one that we built using a triple oak about 12' up. Made a ladder out of 2x4s and built the platform like a little deck. Then put railing on it, added a strap on tree seat, painted it grey primer to match the oaks and will hang some blind material on it soon. (Ran tight on budget) We took 2 deer out if it this season and saw dozens more!

We have another that is a pallet sitting on a 2 x 4 frame with two front leggs 8' tall from 4 x 4s and bolted to a double tree. This year during the off season we will replace the pallet with decking. It also has rails and blind material backed by lattus on it and we have shot a bunch out of it as well. You really don't need to get real high to have a great deer stand.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Spike

I designed one two years ago that has proved worthy. I was skeptical of most raised boxes built with 4x4's, even when the posts were angled some. My design employs rear legs (4x6) angled side to side, and front angled back to front. There are some supports running front to back that tie into the side to side lower support. It withheld some wind storms last summer where other stands were tipped.

The box is 4'W 6'L and there is a 6'5" head clearance. we wanted some larger stands to start getting the kids out there (ages 5-9). The height of the floor is approximately 11'. The shooting rails are about 42" high, so almost 15" shooting height.

I built them to be modular so we could get them into the woods easier. The pic of the trailer has 2 full stands loaded.

Total cost was around $275 a piece.
Attached Thumbnails Elevated box blind plans??-img_0051_2.jpg   Elevated box blind plans??-img_0054.jpg   Elevated box blind plans??-img_0057.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Here are some plans:

Construct a platform of adequate size using 2''x6''s and plywood, elevate it using vertical members which are preferably at least 6''x6''. Enclose the platform with a box. Roof is optional. Locate the assembly in a place suitable to view deer.

Hope that helps, good luck!