Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 If deer can' t see blaze orange, why do we buy camo? >

If deer can' t see blaze orange, why do we buy camo?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If deer can' t see blaze orange, why do we buy camo?

Old 07-21-2003, 03:28 AM

Default RE: If deer can' t see blaze orange, why do we buy camo?

They dont see blaze orange as blaze orange but they do see a solid non broken outline of a human predator. I like the blaze orange camo patterns. Breaks up your outline yet is safe. Camo isnt always needed but its just a little added insurance.........and it looks cool too!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer can see blue quite well , yellow too , but they are much like a red/green colorblind human in general . It' s also theorized that they may be able to see the lower band of the ultraviolet spectrum , which is why you shouldn' t use regular laundry detergent since it contains lots of uv brighteners . Deer also have no depth perception because of their eye placement . Camo breaks up your outline , I wear ordinary Woodland year round personally . Ain' t science wonderful ? [8D]
Old 07-21-2003, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

thundermug...Good question. I believe it helps to some degree (I wear camo during archery season) but being a smart hunter while in the woods, to me, is much more important than the clothes you wear. Folks have been shooting deer for many years, well before Hunter Orange and Camo was ever thought of. Everone seems to say what color deer can and cannot see, how solid colors are more apt to bring attention to the deer than broken patterns will (I believe all this is somewhat true) but not doing whatever is necessary to tilt the odds in your favor by playing the wind, trying to keep as scent-free as possible, not making unnesessary noise or movement is a heck of a lot more important than buying the " camo of the month" pattern....just my .02.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer see movement extremely well, they have vision for low light conditions, so they see contrasts pretty well too, but they can' t descern detail well, and have depth perception problems, so if you wiggle at all, and they look for you based on the movement, they' ll find your shadowed outline if you look like you have arms and a head, when you put on blaze orange over your camo, they see a light square blob against the woodland back ground. They won' t be able to pick out your outline if you break up your entire body with lines and contrasts, they can' t pick out which line is the edge of you, or just another line on your coat. Take out your video camera or digital camera and put it in black and white, and have someone stand 50yds off, you' ll see how difficult it is to pick you out, you know what the blaze orange blob is, so that gives you away to other hunters, but deer just see it as a light squarish blob, not a human.

If you' re that worried about it, get a blaze patch well over regulation, and paint on a twig/branch camo pattern, or pin on ghillie pins, even in my non-leafy, non-ghillie camo hunting clothes, with a B&W camera and orange like that, you' d have a hard time picking me out if you could at all (cept my rifle), once tried to guide some hunting buddies to their blinds 30-60yrds away by standing in front of mine and waving my arms, they couldn' t hardly pick me out, so I' m confident that deer can' t either. I' ve also had a doe step over the bbl of my rifle while laying prone with a bit of my torso exposed under a pine tree (awesome blind, and it keeps you warm), I don' t think she or her herd saw my blaze hat or the blaze vest over my shoulders, do you?
Old 07-21-2003, 11:28 AM

It' s called marketing. Experts get on shows and ads raving about their successes because (in thier opnion) it was all due to their Camo.

I and many other Firearms hunters have for many hours (in full head to toe camo blaze orange) sat in herds of deer - some close enought to touch -and they never knew were were even there. With no more cover that a rock and soap weed. The deer usually are also at a state of hightened awareness because the rut is over and the firearms season is on. The key to any kind of camo technique is to break up your out line and break up ANY large panel areas on your body.

It constantly amazes me to see how much people pay for camo they really don' t need. Confidence and know how are more important than 95% of the camo that is sold. IMO it is nothing more than another version of an equipment race. I think it is much more important to become invisible to their noses. Deer usually don' t give something a second look unless they smell something strange or they see movement.

Dave
Old 07-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Honestly if you' re a rifle hunter camo doesn' t make a difference and why you haven' t noticed a change in the success rate. And I' m assuming you' re a rifle hunter because you wear orange. When I hunt with a rifle I don' t even worry about my scent much less my clothing. If you' re a bowhunter it could make a lot of difference, maybe not so much in a treestand but on the ground it certainly would. When bowhunting having you' re outline broken up makes a big difference.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

JASON: FYI: It is legal in Texas, where I hunt, to hunt without blaze orange on private property.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

[Since you can' t make the dye for flourescent orange without UV components, deer see hunter orange. They may also see other clothing made with UV components ( many of the old camouflages were). Check your clothing under a blacklight. If it glows, deer can probably see it; use ATSKO' s UV killer to suppress/mask the glow. Or get new clothes (another reason/excuse to use on the wife).
I am quoting TR Michaels. If you are interested in reading more of what deer can see, check out his thread on understanding deer vision.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1
Old 07-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wear camo to get away from the commercial colors that have uv brighteners. Back in the 80' s liberty came out with some camo overalls and I bought some. I couldn' t get near a deer for 3 years and I finally read about the uv brighteners in some camo. I put them camo' s under a blacklight and they looked like a neon sign. I quit wearing them and went back to killing deer again.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:00 AM

Why? Because we are humans who depend on the media to enlighten us and we are like a herd of cows that follow the " leader" . I use this alias as I still hunt in the same hunting clothes I originally bought 15 yrs ago. They are faded badly, have tears in them, but they still break up my outline and that is the only reason I wear them. Otherwise, bluejeans and a t-shirt in whatever color you desire is just as effective if scent free.

Quick Reply: If deer can' t see blaze orange, why do we buy camo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.