Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Caliber of choice?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

In my many years as a deer hunter (3) every deer I have shot with a rifle (3) has been with a 30-06 with 150 grain corloks. Each of those three deer was hit slightly far back, just nicking the front of the stomach (yes, I need to not be afraid to nick the shoulder and I need to be a better judge of the deer's angle to me), and yet each of those deer went less than 20 yards before falling down. Based on that I would have to say 30-06.

I do have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington ready for this season, and I hope to see if the 200 grain corelock pill will work, and if so that may be my favorite:-)
Old 09-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Spike

I'd have to say 25/06. The thing I like most is the mild recoil but it has plenty of punch to get the job done. I'm a big fellow, but I've been hit in the nose by a scope a couple of times. When I try to shoot at longer distences I like to be able to get comfortable and not worry about getting a scope across my nose. I've always had pass thrus and nice blood trails. Its plenty accurate. I also have a 243 I hunt with some to. I really like it to, but I just like the idea of having that extra 20 grains or so of bullet.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Spike

7.62x54R 203 grain psp just because I can!