Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 need some help on attracting deer w/ seed, deer cane??, or attractanct scents. >

need some help on attracting deer w/ seed, deer cane??, or attractanct scents.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need some help on attracting deer w/ seed, deer cane??, or attractanct scents.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:42 AM

Default need some help on attracting deer w/ seed, deer cane??, or attractanct scents.

what to plant for food plots thisy ear? i' m hunting in mississippi, we get rain sometimes, sometimes we don' t.. be plangin about an acre or 2 w/ this stuff.. cost isn' t much of an issue, i just want something that will attract deer... what about Deer Cocaine or something similiar? and attractant scents that will work good????? i really do appreciate help.. somethin gout there has to be better than rye grass
Old 07-16-2003, 05:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: need some help on attracting deer w/ seed, deer cane??, or attractanct scents.

Try planting ordinary turnip greens , but fertize them to favor leaves instead of the turnip . Most of the non-clover attractant crops are just heavily fertilized greens of one kind or another . Turnip greens only taste good to deer after a frost sweetens them , so consider them a late season crop . For earlier deer seasons plant mixed clovers , this will give the deer a nutritious food over a longer period and the greens will attract them later on . You can also get several cuts of clover hay from the plot to offset costs .
Old 07-16-2003, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: need some help on attracting deer w/ seed, deer cane??, or attractanct scents.

Buck Forage Oats are very good for attracting deer. We plant a lot (about 55) food plots each year and usually just plant a mixture of rye, wheat and oats with a few clover seed mixed in. If the price of seed wasn' t high it would be all Buck Forage Oats.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I planted mine in South Dakota to alfalfa. Seems to draw them all year around. I sowed it with oats the first time but it comes back evey year unless its really dry.