Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rub line

Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Spike

Default rub line

coming out of the woods the other day i found a couple of rubs along a trail.Went on down the trail and started down the hill and found a couple more looking pretty fresh keep walking and a couple more so i turn and look up the hill and i can see around 6 to 8 rubs going up the hill.I s this any area i just set up in ,not normally a area i hunt.what do you guys think.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Spike

i should add that i have to walk up a pretty steep hill to hunt on the flat top of the hill,the area i am talking about is right off the flat area so to me it looks like the buck seems to be moving on the side of the hill and not on the flat
Old 10-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

I'd be settin up where the buck is, that's for sure..haha
Old 10-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ROBERTS021
coming out of the woods the other day i found a couple of rubs along a trail.Went on down the trail and started down the hill and found a couple more looking pretty fresh keep walking and a couple more so i turn and look up the hill and i can see around 6 to 8 rubs going up the hill.I s this any area i just set up in ,not normally a area i hunt.what do you guys think.

impossible to give a good answer without seing the spot, or knowing alot about the area... IMHO. If you like it hunt it

Old 10-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Tonight I was hunting a couple of fresh rubs I came across on the way to my blind.... I couldn't have missed them cause the deer scat was right on the trail I walked in on 2 hrs earlier and the rubs were right there on a couple of small trees. So I decided to climb a tree right there. Got out my screw in steps climbed a tree about 20yards away from the rubs. They are about 10 yards from a creek. I had been there about an hour and a half and sure enough about 6pm I spotted a buck on the other side of the creek it's pretty thick there so I didn't get a real good look but I believe it was a 6 point. He never came my way.
Here's the kicker. The buck was walking straight towards my blind SOOOOO If I had been hunting in my blind I think I would have had a shot. But that's hunting. Hunting rubs is a good idea. Rubs show you that a buck is in the area. I'll hunt them a couple days and then go back to my stand. Set up on the one's you have seen and Good luck!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-25-2010, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Odds are that deer is bedding on that ridge. Probably traveling the rub line to a food source. The tme to hunt it is now. I have killed some good deer off rub lines. All of my success has come from setting up as close as I could to the bedding area and catcing the buck in the evening on his way to the food source.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Spike

thanks guys for the info.i am going to give it a shot this coming weekend,will let you know how it works.Something to add to this is that a couple days before i saw these rubs i was up there in the moring and it was raining a little bit and on my way out i came across to dry deer beds right there near the rubs.I thought about hunting this area before because of some sign but never have,hell it is going to save about 20 min of walking and two less hills to climb.lol looking foward to that