Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Croosbow's blood trail not as I would have assumed. >

Croosbow's blood trail not as I would have assumed.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Croosbow's blood trail not as I would have assumed.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Croosbow's blood trail not as I would have assumed.

Hello all I am new here and this is the first time asking for your guys advice. I have a crossbow in which I have killed numerous deer with the last several years. The thing I have noticed that even on perfectly placed shots with exit wounds the blood trails do not seem as good as my compound bow with the same shot and broadheads. Was just wondering if anyone else has had look harder to recover there deer as I have when hunting with a croosbow?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Thunderchicken217
Hello all I am new here and this is the first time asking for your guys advice. I have a crossbow in which I have killed numerous deer with the last several years. The thing I have noticed that even on perfectly placed shots with exit wounds the blood trails do not seem as good as my compound bow with the same shot and broadheads. Was just wondering if anyone else has had look harder to recover there deer as I have when hunting with a croosbow?
We are glad to have you!
Are you taking longer shots than you would with your compound?
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

No not generally. I feel more comfortable taking a longer shot if offered but have yet to shoot one over 30 yds. I don't want to confuse anyone I am finding these deer but on shots thats I believe should be Ray Charles blood trails I'm having a hard time finding blood.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

No not generally. I feel more comfortable taking a longer shot if offered but have yet to shoot one over 30 yds. I don't want to confuse anyone I am finding these deer but on shots thats I believe should be Ray Charles blood trails I'm having a hard time finding blood.
What broadheads are you using?
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Wasp 100 grain 3 blades
Old 10-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Just unlucky. Sometimes the blood trail is better than other times. The broadhead is what does the damage along with the location (on the deer) of the hit...doesn't matter what type of arrow it is on.

Mitch
Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Wasp 100 grain 3 blades
I would go up to a bigger cutting broadhead, looks like some of the wasp bullets, are only a 1 inch cut. If you want to shoot wasp go up to the hammer sst in 100 grain the cut on it is 1-3/16. That might help make a larger entrance and exit hole.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

I will I believe the ones I am shooting now are 1 1/8' but didn't realize there were any bigger than that. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

I will I believe the ones I am shooting now are 1 1/8' but didn't realize there were any bigger than that. Thanks.
Looks like you must be using "The Boss". Good luck and have a great season!
Live it up Doug
Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say just luck. Same broadheads in theory should produce same damage = same blood. But it really matters where you hit them, if you happen to sever a major artery, if some fat clogs up the exit hole, etc. etc. There's just too many variables. But you can switch to a larger diameter broadhead to increase your chances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.