Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long of a rifle season?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

In Kansas the any-sex whitetail season goes from Dec. 1-12 and the antlerless-only season goes from January 1-16. We also have a deer management unit around the Kansas City/Leavenworth/Lawrence area that goes from October 9-17. Usually a lot of the meat gets donated to harvesters.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

In Oklahoma, rifle season lasts 16 days and starts the Saturday before Thanksgiving. There is also a holiday antlerless season around Christmas.

Bow season Oct 1 - Jan 15

Muzzleloader season Oct 23 - Oct 31
Old 10-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually - anyone that said that Pennsylvania's rifle season is only 2 weeks long is wrong.

Here is why

First you have a Special Antlerless Deer season - October 21 - 23rd
Jr / SR license holders and Disabled persons permit, any Pennsylvania resident actively serving in the US Armed Forces - including the US Coast Guard. I would imagine that if you worked for the Border Patrol that they would also look the other way on that one.

Muzzleloader antlerless - October 16 - 23

Regular Firearms Deer season - November 29 - December 11

Then you have a antlerless deer season in area's - 2B, 5C, 5D
December 27 - January 29

Flintlock Muzzleloader season December 27 -January 15 in most zones and December 27 - January 29 in the special areas listed above. 2B, 5C, 5D.

My way of thinking - that gives you almost 2 months worth of rifle hunting.
We get 12 days in our gerneral firearms season. Two weeks minus two Sundays.

Can't count muzzleloader because all the other states have seasons for that, too. Doe-only in special regs is different all-together.

90% of hunters in PA can hunt with their 30-06 12 days out of the year. Because of work, most guys only get out 3 of those days.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

In some counties in SC where I grew up rifle season is August 15 through December or January.

I live in VA now, get about 1.5 months east of the blue ridge and 2 weeks west of the blue ridge.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

In NY, the northern tier (generally the Adirondacks and Tug Hill region) muzzleloader season starts October 16th this year, and the rifle season starts the 23rd, running until December 5th or so this year. THere is about another 2 weeks of southern tier gun muzzleloading season extending until almost xmas...I forget the exact date.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I always found that

...the length of the season depended on how many orange clad carcasses trekked the woodlands of the particular state.

If you have over 700,000 hunters in a state, they'll usually start you on a Monday, as Saturday will bring out too many varmints to shoot deer. Two weeks of gun season if you're lucky. If there were only 100,000 deer, they might give you six hours of hunting, just so the whole deer herd isn't wiped out.

In some states, with much fewer hunters, they'll have hunting from September to the end of the year. The gov. body hopes the local college teams lose early, just so the hunters will be applying there energy on sitting in a tree stand, on a Saturday afternoon. In these states, getting a deer one weekend isn't enough. By the next Saturday and even Sunday, they want you to have the processing deer fee ready, just for another deer.

In one state where I hunted, it was one deer only. Lordy was I happy to be dragging out my one deer within a hour of starting hunting. That minus ten degrees, sure made the sparce hunting opportunity, very welcomed.