Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

strong winds?

Old 10-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Spike

Default strong winds?

has anybody ever had any success while hunting in strong winds?
Old 10-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jakeb0844
Watch this! Wind does not bother deer. As you can see in my vid the wind is blowing 20 to 30 mile an hour. could have killed 3 deer at 10 yrds.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jakeb0844
They didn't move for me, and I'm in Louisiana too. It was a strong north wind. I was rockin in my tree.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have come upon deer in strong winds while still hunting. Windy days are good days to still hunt because the wind conceals your sounds and some of your movement, but it does for the deer as well.

kswild - Cool video. Looks like it is spring time. I would venture to say that if it is a cold and very windy fall day, the deer may be more apt to bed then they would in the spring.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Here in the midwest I have seen some of the biggest bucks ever on windy days. If you can tough it out and it's not to cold it's great hunting
Old 10-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

I don't mind wind when gun hunting. I'm a little more cautious when bow hunting, however, because it can affect your arrow flight.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer wind for the stick/string on spot/stalk.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I have come upon deer in strong winds while still hunting. Windy days are good days to still hunt because the wind conceals your sounds and some of your movement, but it does for the deer as well.

kswild - Cool video. Looks like it is spring time. I would venture to say that if it is a cold and very windy fall day, the deer may be more apt to bed then they would in the spring.
That video was shot 2 weeks ago around Sept.25th 2010
So you are wrong it is a fall day.... they will move in any weather. Why do you guys always believe old wives tales about when deer bed. They have to eat and drink just like anything else. Spend some time in the field and you will learn deer habits. Deer will even move in blizzards. Most of the stuff you hear about deer habits is untrue crap. Just like that thread that was posted about throwing conventional wisdom out the door. What he THOUGHT was conventional wisdom was NOT wisdom at all. The guy finally learned you don't need ANY hunting products that are on the market to get close to deer. Windy cold days are especially good days to hunt.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
Here in the midwest I have seen some of the biggest bucks ever on windy days. If you can tough it out and it's not to cold it's great hunting
I couldn't agree more, if its going to be windy, I'm going to be "still Hunting" Wind throws all there sense's off, (big time) and the big bucks really get nervous, great time to hunt. one morning in near blizzard conditions we took two eights and a ten. many hunters make up excuses not to hunt in bad weather, rain, snow, wind, more for their benefit then the deer. JMOP Doc
Old 10-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

I don't believe that it makes much difference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.