Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fort AP Hill, VA bow hunting

Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Spike

Question Fort AP Hill, VA bow hunting

I just move to Ashland, VA (Richmond Area). I've been looking for spots to bow hunt. Fort AP Hill doesn't sound too bad. Does anyone have any experiences hunting there? I'd hate to pay the $50 permit fee then have it be a bust. Or, any suggestions on where to go? I don't gun hunt for deer too much anymore because of overcrowding - archery is much less of a crowd.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Never hunted there but I see deer all the time on 301. Lots of hills BTW.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

The Hill in nice. Lots of deer and lots of hunting area. Just play by their rules since they are in the "business" of training troops.

Mitch
Old 09-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Spike

Go to Ft. Pickett south of Richmond in Blackstone, Va. Great bow hunting. Fee used to be $35. The base itself has about 50 tree stands and it is bow hunting only. They provide tree stands and you can hang your own too. It has something like 15000 acres for hunting outside the base. Great bucks come out of there. My buddy took a 171 pope and young off the base with a bow. I would be hunting it this year myself but it is a 2 1/2 hour trip for me. I decided to try NC this year. Never hunted Ft AP Hill.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunted AP Hill several years ago when I lived in Fredericksburg. Lots and lots of deer there and lots of big bucks. If you gotta hunt "public" land AP Hill is definitely a good area.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Spike

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should give it a shot. Opens this weekend so I will post how it goes.