Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what choke tube for deer

Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default what choke tube for deer

I bought a new Remington 11-87 12ga. last year but I haven't used it for deer hunting yet. I only have the modified choke tube that came with it. What choke tube do ya'll use?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

for slugs or buckshot?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Spike

I will only be shooting buckshot. Don't you have to have a rifled barrel to shoot slugs?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Spike

You can shoot rifled slugs out of a smooth barrell not sure on choke though. Personally, I would look into a cantilever rifled barrel.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

i don't use chokes when i use slugs.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used slugs out of a smooth bore. Around here it's common as rifles aren't allowed for deer hunting. Typically an Improved Cylinder tube works the best in most guns. My shotgun will do 4" groups at 100 yd. with Brennecke slugs.
I've read that it's not a good idea to shoot without a choke tube in the gun, could damage the threading at the end of the barrel. Additionally, if you let the gun tip over, you could deform the thin, threaded portion of the muzzle.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to pattern it with different chokes and different brands of buckshot...When you find a combination that will put 5-6 in a 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper set horizontal at 40 yards, you've found your load...

Forty yards should also be your maximum range...
Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
You need to pattern it with different chokes and different brands of buckshot...When you find a combination that will put 5-6 in a 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper set horizontal at 40 yards, you've found your load...

Forty yards should also be your maximum range...

As a general rule i have always used 50 yards and a maximum range for buckshot, but i know MANY people who have shot them out to 80 yards..... ( i knOw it sounds ridiculas but i witnessed a 6 point shot from 70 + DROP on the spot... )

But either way just but a few boxes of several brands and test them out to 50 yards IMO.. go with the one that works best. and if your not sein many pellets at 50 yards, then you may in fact have to move in to 40 yards....
Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Remington 870 and I use a Kicks Industries Buck Kicker choke tube with Federal Premium 3 1/2. It shoots very well out of my gun but as others have said you have to check your gun out with many combinations to see. I also had an 1100 that I used a Pattern Master choke tube and that gun also shot very well.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Spike

Is there a need to buy more choke tubes? I've always shot single shots until I bought my 11-87. I didn't know if a full choke was supposed to be better for deer. I will have to get some shooting in before season.