Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When do bucks lose their velvet? >

When do bucks lose their velvet?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When do bucks lose their velvet?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default When do bucks lose their velvet?

When do bucks in Wisconsin (or the upper midwest) generally lose their velvet? I realize it is different for individual bucks, but I'm just looking for a ballpark time period I guess. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Well I'm sorry I can't speak particularly to Wisconsin but in Nebraska we will start seeing some of the mature bucks start losing velvet towards the end of Aug. I would assume this would be a ballpark figure for your bucks there??
Old 08-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd agree with Nebruiser. They will start losing it within a couple of weeks. You'll start seeing the rubs. I have seen small bucks still in velvet during the early bow season though.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
I'd agree with Nebruiser. They will start losing it within a couple of weeks. You'll start seeing the rubs. I have seen small bucks still in velvet during the early bow season though.
Ditto! Same here
Old 08-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

times 3, the mature bucks will be rubbing it off mid-late aug, i kow this from trail cam pics as we have no older (3 or so yrs old) bucks with velvet by september, but the little ones will still be in usually
Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

In the west central part of the state it seems to be the end of Aug., like the others said. If he don't have it now, he ain't going to get it.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Yup here in ny I think its the end of August, beginning of September
Old 08-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

by sept/oct here, they are usually done..thats bow season, and i never seen one with velvet durin bow season.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in NH, I have seen bucks shot during the very beginning of bow season (Sep 15) that were still in velvet. That is definitely the exception, not the rule.

Most deer in New England have lost their velvet by Labor Day or shorthy after.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Revive of an old thread...I think I got a pic of a buck that recently lost his velvet...Its not a good pic but to me it looks like it doesnt have velvet anymore...
Attached Thumbnails When do bucks lose their velvet?-mfdc1933.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.