Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are mulberries good bait?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are mulberries good bait?

How often or how attracted are deer to mulberries? Me and a friend were messing around in the timber with the fourwheelers yesterday and I just noticed all of the mulberries trees that were in there! It was crazy at how many there was.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sure the deer eat them but from what I have seen in NE its not really their first choice. Plus they rot pretty quickly after dropping to the ground. Coons on the other hand will eat every last one til they can no longer eat another! Stick with apples if your looking for a fruit for a bait.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Ground hogs love them. Hippies as well. I prefer the wood for smoking meat.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Around here, the deer eat the berries (ripen in late May in my area) but they browse the tree's year round (leave's, buds, tips of branches, etc). Highly preferred browse.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

They probably eat them, along with a lot of other critters. But I think they are pretty well done by deer season anyway.