Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Most Effective Way to "mask" Scent >

Most Effective Way to "mask" Scent

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Most Effective Way to "mask" Scent

Old 07-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Spike

Default Most Effective Way to "mask" Scent

Fellow hunters,
What do you believe is the most effective way to "mask"
human odor? I have almost come to the conclusion that
there is no 100 per cent effective way to completely cover
human scent in the wild, especially when it come to the
whitetail deer. Nevertheless, I do believe there are things
that can be done to lessen the effects of human odor.
Maybe, just maybe, an earthy-soil type scent works as
well as any and may be more natural than any other
because it is universal. I have heard of hunters actually
burying their hunting clothes underground in order to
achieve as much of an earthy-soil odor as possible.
What do you think?

Regards,
Boltaction
Old 07-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Wash with a scentless soap and shampoo, and I launder my hunting clothes (underwear, socks, shirts, pants, jackets, hats) in scentless detergent, then air dry them away from the house and other human scents.I avoid wearing my hunting clothes in the house, and nobody better be smoking in my vehicles. Most important though, is simply hunting with the wind in your favor.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing beats hunting the wind.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Daveboone
Wash with a scentless soap and shampoo, and I launder my hunting clothes (underwear, socks, shirts, pants, jackets, hats) in scentless detergent, then air dry them away from the house and other human scents.I avoid wearing my hunting clothes in the house, and nobody better be smoking in my vehicles. Most important though, is simply hunting with the wind in your favor.
Don't forget to wash the towels, and wash cloths in scent free detergent.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I found baking soda to work far better than the commercial products. But I agree the wind is more important than the scent control you are using. If the wind is blowing the wrong direction why chance it.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Everything=clothing, backpack,etc. is washed in scent free detergent and dried with scent free dryer towels. The everything is hung on the line through preferrably 2 good rain showers, after everything dries i place everything in a big tupperware container with dirt and strong smelling leaves and branches from the area I hunt. My clothes have been stored this way for 2 weeks now and will remain that way till hunting season occassionally replacing the old dried out leaves and branches with fresh ones. And then I only hunt the stands that the wind is right for.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reducing and covering scent are 2 completely different things.

Reduction is possible - covering/masking is not.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by BOLTACTION
What do you believe is the most effective way to "mask" human odor?
After all your equipment along with the clothes you are wearing are clean, throw on some Scent-Loks along with a double shielded breath mask and you'll be seeing deer downwind so close, people won't believe you when you tell them just how close they were. Being self-employed has afforded me the luxury of being in the woods hunting ungodly amounts... more than my fair share and I've witnessed some close encounters... very close. And they didn't even know I was there.

iSnipe
Old 07-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I was going to buy a whole truckload of that scent eliminator spray, but I don't have any clothes or gear with "REPLICATED HUMAN ODOR" on them...
rw
Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Fork Horn

Deer can smell you regardless if the wind is wrong. Even if you smell like "odor free" products.
As mentioned, best to just really pay attention to the wind. Have multiple stands for different wind conditions. If you only have one stand to hunt out of, then make sure you have multiple shooting lanes for wind conditions.
If you hunt in a farm area, where deer already know human odors, and usually aren't pressured by hunters, deer will often just stroll by regardless of the wind. They may be on the alert, but not all out alarmed.

Last edited by Dan480Man; 07-25-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.