Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I arrowed my biggest buck and can-not see how I lost it. >

I arrowed my biggest buck and can-not see how I lost it.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I arrowed my biggest buck and can-not see how I lost it.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Quartering towards isnt a favorite shot of mine unless hes close enough to stick one at the base of the neck above the brisket. Im comfortable with this shot on hogs and deer to 25 yards. Deer shot in that area usually dont go far and leave a blood trail wide enough to drive a truck down.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Diamondjustice...Are you serious? I opt for the logic that a field point will kill a deer if you hit both lungs.

Losing a deer happens to everyone. If you continue hunting, it'll happen again. When I started bowhunting in the 70's an old school bowhunter taught me the 3 things that you need to keep in mind if you are serious about bowhunting.

1. Practice until you are the best shooter that you can be.
2. Get as close to the animal as possible.
3. Use good judgement

If I were to guess what happened to that deer from the info that I have...I would say that you single lunged it. From the single lung hits that I've seen, the animals bleed pretty good...then stop bleeding. Then they go a ways with no blood before expiring.

i under stand that but he was tore up so bad he didnt know if he hit the lung and i am just saying rage tares up everything
Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by diamondjustice
i under stand that but he was tore up so bad he didnt know if he hit the lung and i am just saying rage tares up everything
IMO depending on a broadhead to make up for bad shot placement is crazyness,we need to be confident in our equipment,but not depend on it to make up for our lack of accuracy,and all the hoopla over the RAGE hasn't helped.its like telling someone to use buckshot and you don't have to worry about learning to be accurate or to be patient. IMO you should make every shot as though you were shooting a fieldpoint, so you better make it a good one!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Had the same thing happen this year.. sucks... eats you up thinking about... we just have to live and learn... that's all...
Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

i have a friend that shot a buck in the a$$ and wend down in about 290 yards till he fell over with a rage 2 blade and i shot on in the back of the neck and he went down try them they work or your money back lol
hope that's not where you were shooting. Was it?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

The reason why i said you atleast got him was because if i shot a buck and knew he was hurt bad I would want to know what happened to him. And when i said pictures i meant i wanted to see the horns... Don't get your panties in a knot if you don't know the facts. Ok?
Originally Posted by Charlie P
No he didn't he got an unusable deer and some antlers.

Not busting on you mr.mc54
Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bowfly
this may spark the debate of "dead space" above the lung...i think you nicked liver and never really touched lungs...sorry about it, but the best you can do now is learn from it and move on
if a deer is hit in the "dead space" they can go on forever... esspecially big mature bucks. i have a friend who this happened to and we saw the buck the next season. he was perfectly fine. NOTE my case may be rare but ive heard of it a time or two.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he was angling to, and the arrow entered high and back on the close side, you either single lunged him back into the liver or missed the lung and hit the liver. That's what the angle implies anyways.

If you found him circled back within 200 yds how do you know he was 500 yds out?

It's simply rude and presumptuous to blame his tracking. Sitting behind your keyboard you have no idea what the track was like. If they completely stop bleeding and run hundreds of yards through thick stuff they can hide under a molehill.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pro-Line
Diamondjustice...Are you serious? I opt for the logic that a field point will kill a deer if you hit both lungs.

Losing a deer happens to everyone. If you continue hunting, it'll happen again. When I started bowhunting in the 70's an old school bowhunter taught me the 3 things that you need to keep in mind if you are serious about bowhunting.

1. Practice until you are the best shooter that you can be.
2. Get as close to the animal as possible.
3. Use good judgement

If I were to guess what happened to that deer from the info that I have...I would say that you single lunged it. From the single lung hits that I've seen, the animals bleed pretty good...then stop bleeding. Then they go a ways with no blood before expiring.
I think you are right. The deer either was a single lung or lung / liver from where I remember hitting it. All I know is maybe I should have waited for a total broad side shot but I thought I could sneak one in the boiler room. My mistake!

I still feel bad cause I lost the meat and the chance to get some pics with this deer.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

dont get down on yourself man it happens to the best of us! all we can do is keep going at it and learn from our mistakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.