HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   "That's not hunting" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/313148-thats-not-hunting.html)

Horacio 12-28-2009 09:53 AM

Get where this is going??? The only true way is with a CLUB!
I prefer a sharpened stick, myself, but only if its been whittled down with a flint rock. Using a knife is cheating.

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-28-2009 10:02 AM

hunting over a food plot, corn, bean field or whatever type of large field is hunting, one must look for sign to see where the deer come out of, etc.

Now sitting over bait to me isn't hunting, its killing, but that is me

ipscshooter 12-28-2009 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Horacio (Post 3540940)
I prefer a sharpened stick, myself, but only if its been whittled down with a flint rock. Using a knife is cheating.

Ummm.... No. You're not "really" hunting unless you chase it down on foot, grapple it to the ground, and tear its throat out with your teeth. ;)

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-28-2009 10:17 AM

baiting isn't hunting, placing bait in the woods is the easy way out, learn to read sign

bcrewcaptain 12-28-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP (Post 3540968)
baiting isn't hunting, placing bait in the woods is the easy way out, learn to read sign

how is it the easy way out if you're simply coaxing them into the area you have to work with? Not everyone has 1500 acres to work with, and have to do the best possible with the cards dealt....

driftrider 12-28-2009 11:29 AM

I get a kick out of the idiots that say that hunting next to a planted field is not hunting. If that were the case, then 90%+ of the land area in Iowa would be classified as such. Iowa is mostly tilled farmland. Heck, if you blindly jumped from an airplane over a random point in Iowa, chances are you'll land in a corn field. And if you miss the corn field, you'll probably just hit the soybeans. In the largest local public hunting area closest to me, where I do most of my hunting, the DNR has perhaps 150-200 acres of corn and beans planted solely for wildlife consumption. So if your definition of hunting involves to man-made food sources, then forget about hunting in Iowa.

Mike

spaniel 12-28-2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3541030)
OK, you put out corn this year on your 20 acres, you hold the resident knows around your corn pile, which will keep the resident bucks and the roaming bucks close by, that accurate?

then dudley the neighbor gets wind of why he didn't see many deer, so next season he puts out corn and apples, he see's deer that year, next year you and goober the neighbor to the south both put out corn, apples, and plant a patch of winter wheat, so dudley has to ante' up as all the rest of the neighbors who hunt the 1 square mile your resident deer call home, so in the end it comes down to like a canned hunt, he who spends the most money see's the most deer, its not what I call hunting, its a baiting competition. Its been going on here for years, now around here the "art" of hunting is lost, all folks know how to do anymore is watch they're bait/plott! Is that your idea of hunting? If so I am truly sorry for you!
RR

I don't use bait, I haven't used a blind in 15 years, heck even bowhunting I hunt from a stool on the ground 3/4 of the time BUT...

RR, I don't know where you live, but when average land plots are 20-40 acres it's a bit different than out west. When I'm out west, I cover a lot of ground glassing. That's not an option in the midwest, where Id be looking across four property lines doing that...two of the four leased and posted.

So is it not hunting when I set aside an acre in the back of my wide, open flat 15 acre property to grow into trees/brush so the deer have some reason to actually come onto my property? Is it hunting when I plant another acre of alfalfa in front of it? Now I call that habitat creation, as the reason I have no deer is I have no food or cover. Is it "not hunting" when you stake out a recently harvested corn field because you know the deer will use it for a few days as an easy food source before going back to whatever they can find in the woods? All a corn field is is a big food plot.

I'm not saying I'm for baiting, but I am saying it's a real, real fuzzy line and you need to look at the whole picture. Different geography has a big, big effect on how game can be hunted.

Perhaps in some areas of the country every single landowner has taken up the commercialized baiting and food plot craze, but in the three states I've regularly hunted it's pretty rare. Too many crops for deer to care about food plots until nearly December.

ipscshooter 12-28-2009 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3541054)
Yes Spaniel it is a fuzzy line, but I have described alot of the hunting here in the east. I'm fortunate though, years ago I bought into 16,000 acres for the sole purpose of hunting, but it has suscumbed to bait hunters. I hunt on 2000 acres that belongs to the man I work for, no-one hunts it except me, its all behind a locked gate. but when I hunt the fringes of it I still see the signs of the bait hunters.

The vast majority of folks don't have the luxury of hunting alone on 2000 acres. Some of us are on 1500 acres, with 15 other hunters, which places pretty severe restrictions on how we can hunt.

If you plant an acre of alfapha, if you on stand, anywhere a deer enters it he's in range, it to me is not any different than hovering over a feeder. a 100 acre cut cornfield, not only does the deer have the choice of when he feeds there but also how he approaches, and where he enters it, that is different than 5 gallons of corn put out, which I'm told here its all the same cause its legal.
Does anyone see my point?
RR
Why don't the deer have a choice of when he feeds, how he approaches, where he enters, etc., when it's a "feeder"? I've seen deer enter my "feeder area" from every direction, usually very cautiously. As far as the "when"... deer typically move in the mornings and evenings, whether there are feeders or not. That's why feeders are generally set to go off at times that coincide with their normal movements. And, the corn isn't typically all eaten each day, so, there's plenty left laying about after hours, giving the bucks an opportunity for nocturnal feeding, if that's what they prefer.

bcrewcaptain 12-28-2009 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3541030)
OK, you put out corn this year on your 20 acres, you hold the resident knows around your corn pile, which will keep the resident bucks and the roaming bucks close by, that accurate?

then dudley the neighbor gets wind of why he didn't see many deer, so next season he puts out corn and apples, he see's deer that year, next year you and goober the neighbor to the south both put out corn, apples, and plant a patch of winter wheat, so dudley has to ante' up as all the rest of the neighbors who hunt the 1 square mile your resident deer call home, so in the end it comes down to like a canned hunt, he who spends the most money see's the most deer, its not what I call hunting, its a baiting competition. Its been going on here for years, now around here the "art" of hunting is lost, all folks know how to do anymore is watch they're bait/plott! Is that your idea of hunting? If so I am truly sorry for you!
RR

I hear what you're saying 100%..however you're far from it...I live at the end of a subdivision, I have 2 wooded acres to work with...about 1000 behind me which is not hunted by myself or anyone else due to its "historical" designation, do I spend the months prior to season opening sitting in the stand, watching the patterns like anyone else? Sure I do, do I try to get them in a pattern so they will more in my area? Sure I do...
Will I trespass to get that huge buck even if I know I won't be caught?No I won't....therefore it makes sense to do what I can with what I have....

LKNCHOPPERS 12-28-2009 12:55 PM

Hunt how you want, if it's legal and you are repectful of the animal and others it's all good. I have hunted over bait but I get my best deer without it.