Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm Mag. Deer caliber?

Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

my dad shoots a 7 mag it is a good deer gun amost anything you see no matter distance(where we hunt)is gonna be dead!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

it isn't a good deer or (med. game) cartridge because "usually" the bullet won't expand well and deer will run off even with a good hit.
Think of it this way: if you drop a paint ball on the ground from 3 feet up or off of the Empire State Building, which would make the bigger splat? Too fast to expand? Hogwash.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by driftrider
Insufficient means "not enough," so if something works but is "way to much" then it is most certainly still sufficient.
No it's not. LOL! You're getting lost with semantics here my friend. Plus, you should have said "way too much".

The definition of sufficient is actually the quantity that can fill a need or requirement, but without being abundant.

So, back to what I originally said, keeping in mind the true definition of what sufficient is, the 7mm mag is NOT a sufficient caliber because "...it has way too much knock down power.... more than enough needed for a thin skinned, thin ribbed whitetail."

Therefore, since the 7mm mag has MORE than enough power, it is an abundant caliber for whitetails. Which isn't sufficient

LOL!

iSnipe
Old 09-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
...switch to a 160 accubond, they hold togather better cutting meat loss.
Great point Ridge Runner.

I didn't want to go there because it wouldn't serve my original post so well. LOL! I knew if a better bullet was used, one without so much fragmentation, there would have been a lot less damage.

iSnipe
Old 09-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by driftrider
The 7mm Magnum, as I believe I stated, is more than sufficient for taking deer.
Mike, my friend, if it is truly "more than sufficient", like you say, then it can't possibly be sufficient, can it?

LOL!

iSnipe
Old 09-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Then I'm your huckleberry.

Once witnessed a high shoulder hit, broadside. NEVER have I seen so much damage from a shot before.

Both sides of the prime backstraps towards the front were toast. Both shoulders were a total waste as the bullet fragmented and not only was there physical damage, but the blood shot collateral damage was totally amazing. I have never seen so much damage to meat before in all my seasons.

So, I say a 7mm Mag isn't a sufficient deer caliber because it has way too much knock down power.... more than enough needed for a thin skinned, thin ribbed whitetail. Many deer have fallen from .223's, .243's and 30-30's that clearly shows calibers that have "sufficient" killing power.

Now if they're out there 300-600 yards, then, now we're talking 7mm Mag's and others.

Your 7mm Mag will work ok. Just keep it in the vitals, off the shoulder(in my opinion) and you should be eating some fine venison... and if you're lucky, a brute to put on the wall.

iSnipe
Dude, what did you expect from a shoulder shot. Get real.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
Dude, what did you expect from a shoulder shot. Get real.
What? I make an observation of fact and you say "get real"? **** off. What's wrong with you? Get real? Whatever. I wasn't one that made the shot thndrlips. In fact, I see people often try for a shoulder shot to knock'em down...DRT.

I don't need DRT. Through the heart or double lungs will suffice just fine chikenlips. That's real enough for me. LOL!

Have a good day!

iSnipe

Last edited by iSnipe; 09-20-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

I think you need a .50 cal for deer hunting, who cares about meat as long as the antlers are intact. Wait I forgot something. What's been the number one poaching caliber of all time did someone say 22lr. Nahhhh couldn't be. I must be dreaming.

Anyway almost all hits into the shoulders cause sufficient meat waste. Oh and I seen a .243 just about take a deers sholder off once. I'd recommend full metal jackets for extra tracking experience and less meat damage.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

i actually thinkthe 7mm mag is a bit on the overkill side. This round got some massive power. This round is awesome though. Probably have one of the flattest trajectory.. Test your skills and sit 600yds away..
Old 09-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

my 270 win with 140 grn bullet does no where near the damage that the 7mm mag does ,if i hit a shoulder. i really have never seen the need for any magnum caliber to kill anything i hunt. and then there's the ultra mags and short mags,all they are is barrel burners. total waste of money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.