Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Rut in NC

Old 09-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Spike

Default The Rut in NC

Hey guys new to the site. Just wondering how many people on this site hunt in NC? Also wondering when does the rut come in here in NC? I have heard many different dates. Northern states the pre-rut comes in during the October 1-Nov 3 months, or sometime in that time period. I have always been told here in NC it occurs around the harvest moon. If that is so we are in the pre-rut right now. Any opinnions?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

buckshot...First off, Welcome to the Forum!!!

They're plenty on here from NC...

Now, it really depends on how you define the rut...Actual breeding depends on the does coming into heat which occurs about 5 1/2 months after the fawn drop in the spring...This happens a couple of weeks earlier in eastern NC than it does in the Piedmont simply because their winters are milder and spring comes a bit earlier so the fawn drop is a couple of weeks earlier...

The pre-rut as you know is when we all see bucks crusing during the middle of the day, more road kills, more bucks chasing does and responding to agressive grunt calls...From what I've seen over the past 40 years this starts about mid-October depending on the weather down east and the last week in October or the first week in November here in the Piedmont...

If you are thinking about taking vacation for the hottest time then I'd go with the last week in October until Thanksgiving week...That's the hot time to be in the woods...

Good Luck...
Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Spike

Appreciate the input. Thanks for the welcome as well.

Last edited by buckshot32182; 09-14-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Extra
Old 09-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Spike

buckshot-
been visiting the site for a while now time to contribute some.
I Hunt N Eastern NC...the rut for me is when the bucks are actively searching for does ie 'getting stupid'. This is usually the first 18-21 days of November for us.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oldschool...Do you hunt near Gates County???
Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Spike

I always take the week off of the Central Muzzle Loading season. This is a great time to be in the woods for the central part of the state. The action usually stays pretty good until Thanksgiving.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

Close to Gates nchawkeye...Camden/Currituck/Chesapeake is home for me.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Spike

Oldschool, you don't know any West's do you? Also I used to play a lot of baseball round your way-Camden that is.