Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you hunt with a crossbow if legalized??? >

Would you hunt with a crossbow if legalized???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you hunt with a crossbow if legalized???

Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you hunt with a crossbow if legalized???

Gun hunters only, if you already bowhunt, you're already participating in archery season, but I'm wondering if you are a gun hunter only in a state that doesn't allow you to hunt with a crossbow, Would you hunt with a crossbow to take advantage of increased hunting opportunity if that became available to you???? PA guys I'd like to hear from any of you who are now "Getting into the archery season..." now that you have that opportunity afforded you. I'm wondering if this Crossbow Inclusion is going to help us get more guys afield, at more times of the year...

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you hunt with a crossbow if legalized???

I believe I would try it. I archery hunt strictly with stick bow now.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I want to hunt with a crossbow from theroad while sittingin my truck drinking a beer and waiting for the hounds to run a deer past me.Gonna have a big bait pile there just in case the dogs dont chase a deer my way.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I want to hunt with a crossbow from theroad while sittingin my truck drinking a beer and waiting for the hounds to run a deer past me.Gonna have a big bait pile there just in case the dogs dont chase a deer my way.
So you've not hunted right over here in my area of OHIO already??
Old 05-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

The funny thing to me is all the guys I know that drink beer while hunting are the ones that hunt in a tree stand and can't stand dog hunting. They happen to also hunt over bait. However, they like to tell you any chance they get how bad dog hunting is.

I'm also friends with a lot of guys that hunt with dogs and for the most part most of them follow a lot more laws than the guys I know that hunt in stands.

One thing I think is funny is one of the guys I know that hunts over bait and likes to drink all the time hunts with a crossbow too. I know that's not the normal though as I know other guys who have crossbows though whom are legit hunters.

A crossbow is legal to use here and honestly if I had one I might hunt with it some. I don't know that I would a ton but I probably would some. I just don't care so much for bow hunting. I've never really gotten into it. Maybe if I did it more I would. Who knows. I would like to have a crossbow but their are other things above it on my list of things I want. I've got 2 compound bows and have been bow hunting maybe once or twice in my life. I like shooting them at targets but I just don't care to hunt with them.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't knock the drinking beer part, though I do definitely wait until I get back to the house before I pour a cold one (***he says as he takes a drink of Michelob Amber Bock***)!

I would not hunt with a crossbow, even if Iowa made it legal for everyone (now it's only legal if you are formally classified as disabled so you can't shoot a regular bow by your doc and the DNR), for two reasons. First, I had a bad first experience with bowhunting, and am convinced that the best way for me to take deer is with a firearm. Secondly, if it shoulders, aims and shoots like a gun, why not just use a gun? Crossbows just don't have any appeal to me.

Mike

Old 05-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you hit them here....

They die quite fast!!!! Actually, most of my bowkills have died within site, and in under 10seconds, only 2 of 23 made it out of sight, and only one was alive longer than 10seconds.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really don't see the benefit...

I can shoot plenty well with a normal compound bow.

I use a bow to take advantage of longer seasons and hunting the rut. I mean if the gun season was just as long and covered the rut, I'd probably would have never taken up a bow.

I say leave the crossbows to the elderly and injured who can't use a compound bow.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

I won't knock the drinking beer part, though I do definitely wait until I get back to the house before I pour a cold one (***he says as he takes a drink of Michelob Amber Bock***)!

I would not hunt with a crossbow, even if Iowa made it legal for everyone (now it's only legal if you are formally classified as disabled so you can't shoot a regular bow by your doc and the DNR), for two reasons. First, I had a bad first experience with bowhunting, and am convinced that the best way for me to take deer is with a firearm. Secondly, if it shoulders, aims and shoots like a gun, why not just use a gun? Crossbows just don't have any appeal to me.

Mike
Uh... because you cant use a gunduring archery season.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

I only hunt with a compound, but crossbows are legal in my state for the entire archery season. I rarely see anyone hunting with one, andit does not seem to be aproblem. Don't get too worked up about it.

Quick Reply: Would you hunt with a crossbow if legalized???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.