Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tactics for pine thickets?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Spike

Default Tactics for pine thickets?

Looking for recommendations on hunting a 10 year old pine plantation that has not been thinned. Apprx 150 acres with a creek running through the middle. The pines/briars/brush run all the way up to the creek edge. Only a few hardwoods (willow oaks) were spared by the loggers. There are 2 roads that each run straight for apprx 150 yds with multiple deer trails crossing each so a blind on each road is an option. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tactics for pine thickets?

I hunt thick pine also and have great success with it. My stragety has been to find the roads running through the property that have the most deer sign and then put a tripod or blind on the down wind side of the road. Be ready when they cross because you don't have much time to judge aim and shoot normally 2 maybe 3 seconds, I normally keep my rifle on a rest and up to my shoulder the whole time.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a buddy:

find the escape trails. Post one person there, or multiple people, just outside the thicket.

Send another person or more, to the other side, keep the breeze in mind when picking sides. let your scent drift into the thicket. Deer should exit the other side.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

You don't say if this is owned land, leased land, family land or just land you have permission to hunt or if it would be OK to push out a couple of food plots. Just based on what you say hunting the road might be the only option. Maybe in a two or three years the pines will be thinned. At that time cleaning out the ramps for plots is an option.
Some timber companies will give the option of a leasee paying an additional $75 to $100 per acre peryear on his lease for the right to push out food plots. This will offset the potential income from timber growth in the plot area.