Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What message are we sending?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:05 PM

Default What message are we sending?

I wrote this paper for a class and thought that I would post it on here for a reminder for the rest of us.

We all enjoy our sport, or could I say that we live our sport? We do all the things that we can to get that deer, turkey, bear, and so on. Nights are spent planning for the hunt, what we need, where we are going to go, how long we are going to be out. Although there are some of us out there that are not thinking once we get into the woods. The actions that we take while we are hunting can make or break the chance that we have to hunt in that are again, or hunt anywhere for that matter.
I am by no means a writer. I am writing this paper to maybe get some individuals to think a little about what they are doing to our sport. The main action that caused me to write this is a story my hunting buddy told me about when he was scouting a piece of land during rifle season for our late bow hunt.
One of our main hunting spots here in Washington is a piece of land that is owned by a local timber company. This land is technically private land but if you purchase a permit you are allowed to hunt as long as you follow the rules. Some of these rules are no motorized vehicles if the area is gated which it is. The first thing he saw that afternoon was about 5 ATVs coming out of the area. Even though this land has had ditches dug to keep vehicles out ATVs and even trucks have cut a road in an area. This is one thing that upsets us greatly. We walk miles sometimes to get to where we want to hunt only to have someone on an ATV go ripping by as fast as they can go with no regard to who else is in the area. All our hard work is lost. I have no problem with someone using an ATV to get to where they are going but these guys never stop. If they see something it is by chance not skill.
The next thing that he saw was a man who had shot a deer. He had his young son with him about the age of 9 or 10. He was field dressing and gutting the deer in the middle of the road right in front of the gate. My buddy asked him if that was the best place to be doing that. The guy got extremely defensive and told him to mind his own business in a few more choice words. My buddy responded that he wasn’t trying to be a jerk but it would be nicer if you would have moved off into the brush where people didn’t have to look at his gut pile when they entered. He also asked him if he had a permit to be in there. The guy said he didn’t need a permit since he had never seen anyone there to even check. Which he may not have but they do come by, I know I talk to the guy regularly to ask if he has seen anything there or on any other plots of land they own. I don’t believe that this person knew the consequences if he were to get caught. They call the Game Department and take your guns, your deer, and there is possible jail time. I know I checked. It also upsets me that he would do this in front of his son. What type of message is he sending to someone this young about following the rules of hunting?
We need to be teachers to the young hunters out there. To keep our sport alive for our children and grandchildren to enjoy. Actions like these could end hunting in this are for all not just the ones who don’t follow these rules. When I worked in sales I learned that if a person has a good experience with you as a salesperson they will tell 2 to 3 people. If they have a bad experience they will tell everyone that they know or talk to. So if one individual does something that is unethical it shadows all the other hunters out there that follow the rules and have manners when they make a kill and meet other individuals in the woods.
So please if you are out remember that the little things that you think are nothing can be something big in another’s eyes. Your actions speak for all hunters not just for yourself. And also teach children the right and ethical way to hunt and not to take short cuts. It isn’t about killing an animal it is about enjoying the outdoors. If we just keep our heads on straight we can preserve our right to hunt. If no one has a reason to be upset there never will be any problems.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: What message are we sending?

Easy for me - I would turn all in, give date, description, license plate, etc. And not say a word to the offenders. Would get intoany typeverbal confrontation. But if called on I sure as heck will testify!

The land owner would appreciate it!

JW
Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

Easy for me - I would turn all in, give date, description, license plate, etc. And not say a word to the offenders. Would get intoany typeverbal confrontation. But if called on I sure as heck will testify!

The land owner would appreciate it!

JW
+1. That would be a very easy decision to make. I don't care who they are or who is with them, if they're breaking the law, the law will get called in to do their job. I call the law on dog hunters all the time when they're running dogs when/where they're not suppose to. Otherwise, they will just keep doing it. Sometimes we just have to turn them in.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a similar experience the other day (dealing with ignorant people)...

I was riding my ATV down a state, multi-usage (atv/snowmobile), groomed recreational trail in NH and see a small Chevy pick-up truck coming down the trail towards me.
I glare at the vehicle as he stops to wave me on, noticing that there were no state markings on the vehicle. So I stop by his vehicle and he rolls his window down.

First off he had Mass. license plates and not to be biased, but some of these folks wreck it for other law abiding citizens (like anywhere, I suppose).
To set the mood, here is a small off shoot regarding why the hair on the back of my neck went up...
I routinely drive down the road and when I notice a traffic violation, like tailgating, going 20-30 MPH over speed limit, no directional, passing on double yellow lines, throwing trash out, etc. (the list goes on). On average, 75% of these drivers are Mass-holes driving in NH (that's there knick name - I didn't make this up). I would bet the other 25% are a make-up of Mass drivers moving to our tax free state that is convenient to Mass.. I certainly know the reason why Mass has been known as one of the worse driver's in the entire country, I am living proof. Sorry for the rant "but it is what it is"! And not to get castrated by Mass people on this site ~ I did mention 25% are fine drivers, most likely outbound of the major cities, so no castartion please! ha-ha! And YES, NH people have done this also, so there!

So as I stop by to enlighten the two people in the vehicle, I expected to see a couple of teen-ager's being foolish kids. Well they turned out to be late twenties or early thirties. As I explain to the guy driving, with his female companion, that "this is a recreational trail and they will hang you if they catch you", he seems to think it's ok, "as he was just out for a ride and notice the gate down, so he figured he would check it out". This stretch of the trail is about a 1/2 mile between roads, so I thought he had just come upon the trail and did as he said, "just checked it out". Now I figured it could have been as inocent as looking for a little parking spot or something, you know like when we where teen-agers, trying to be romantic, who knows.. I then proceed to explain this again, after his lame excuse, and notice an open bottle of Sam Adams between his legs. Now I'm fairly pissed and told him to get off the trail, which he politely says "thanks, I'll get out of here". We part, and, all the while as I'm rushing to get home to pick up my son, on-time from daycare, I continue down the trail noticing he had crossed many roads and ruined the groomed snowmobile trail. About 3 miles worth of screwing the trails up, I wished he would have gotten stuck or broke down!

If I wouldn't have been so rushed and had more of a spine, I would have taken his plate number and called the cops. More on the lines of the open beer bottles and now I am very dissappointed in myself, in which I wish I could turn the clock back and have a different ending. I can assure you I won't let something like this slide because I'm running late next time! Fricken People, this is how land get's posted or worse yet, people get killed O(meaning the drinking while driving).
Old 03-14-2009, 12:05 PM

This area that we hunt in has been getting a lot worse. They even found a dead body dumped there a few years back. I have also found where some poachers have been dumping the carcasses of animals they have shot. I have now become fed up with it. I have contacted the lumber company so they get more patrols out there and also have told the game department that they should patrol there more often. Also I gues some of the people that live on the road up there have the sheriff coming out quite a bit too. I just hope it gets better this is a place that only takes 15 mins to get to.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:41 PM

What are some members here doing, and showing, the non-hunting public, when they constantly bash, belittle and denegrate other hunters who post here?

In-fighting, and back-stabbing,cannot look good to the non-hunter. It portrays hunters in a bad light.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

but,the non-hunting puplic is not here,its a hunting site
Old 03-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WildlifePhoto

What are some members here doing, and showing, the non-hunting public, when they constantly bash, belittle and denegrate other hunters who post here?

In-fighting, and back-stabbing,cannot look good to the non-hunter. It portrays hunters in a bad light.
Your post makes no sense T.R.... So we're suppose to encourage and condone the acts of these unethical "hunters" just because they're "hunting". Hell no! If they're breaking the law and being unethical, then they should be dealt with.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

ORIGINAL: WildlifePhoto

Your post makes no sense T.R.... So we're suppose to encourage and condone the acts of these unethical "hunters" just because they're "hunting". Hell no! If they're breaking the law and being unethical, then they should be dealt with.
X2
Old 03-15-2009, 10:24 AM

I was not talking about "poachers", "cheaters" etc. I think we should call them out, they shouldbe told that you dont agree with wha they are doing; that they are breaking the law etc.

What I was refering to was how some people hammer away (negatively) at what T.R. writes, and the fact that I post it.

If you don't think anti's are here, they probably are, snooping around - for some dirt to spread around to thier ignorant masses.