Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer? >

Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM

Default Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer?

Is the SKS with a scope on it accurate enough to hunt deer?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Default RE: Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer?

I have a friend that uses one. Open sights. He has no problems with it from what he says. All the shooting he does is close range in an area where the deer are usually running.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can shoot it acuratly I would think it would work. I have a MAC90 (sporterized AK47) that shoots the same round. Its not hard to hit a pie plate sized target with it at 200 yards. I'd expect the SKS to be no different.

Probably not the best round for it but a hollow point round acuratly placed will do the job. I personaly would keep the shots fairly short 150 yards or less.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would not use one! Most of the SKS's are not designed for great accuracy and even the accurate ones are under powered for hunting except at short ranges.
I'm sure that you'll hear that so-n-so kills 'em all the time and never lost one! But, even a .22 RF is "capable" of killing deer.I can name at least 100 better choices than a 7.62X39 for deer and 100 better choices in rifles than an SKS.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an SKS, but my state does not allow rifles for deer hunting. However, based on my experiences with it, I would say that it is a decent short-range gun for deer hunting- especially if you are in a situation where you see a lot of running deer at close ranges and need a fast pointing, fast-shooting rifle with follow-up shots.

I would not use hollow-points however- based on what I've seen them do to groundhogs, I think they may prematurely blow up upon hitting a deer. I would use a 123 - 150 grain soft-point bullet, depending on what you can find. If you SKS is accurate enough, it should get the job done for deer out to 100 yards or a little further.

If my state did allow rifles, I probably would used a scoped bolt-action for sitting out on a stand, but would certainly consider the SKS when doing deer drives or hunting in the really thick stuff.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will kill a deer, but is a poor choice in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

My .22 is accurate enough to hunt deer! Use your combat knife...

-Jake

PS. It's Chinese....enough said.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 PM

Hi,
I like hunting deer. I never use SKS for hunting deer. But I would like to know about it.

Snoreta

Car Loans

Old 01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Ok first off, that post up there was not me. One of my college buddies. Second off, stellina, I think thats spam, we don't like spam. So don't do it. Third off. No an SKS is not really a deer rifle, will it do it? Yes SHould it do it? No. Just my 2 cents.
-Jake
Old 01-28-2009, 04:21 AM

i would not use it. spend some money and get a deer gun.

Quick Reply: Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.