Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Smallest Caliber For  Deer Hunting >

Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Even though this thread died rather fast I will still chime in with my thoughts.

Traditionally most smaller caliber rounds were labeled varmintroundsso they were loaded with very frangible (explode on impact) bullets which aren't suited for deer. Over the past few years the bullet manufacturers have started loading a lot more factory ammo with good quality solid bullets in small clibers such as the .223. A 62gr BARNES X bullet loaded in .223rem will take out any deer in the United States if the shooter does his job.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

What ammo were you using? Solid jacket, Hollow point or solid point lead, and what brand?

ORIGINAL: patchholder

I have heard alot of stories about people killing deer with .22's. I think most of the time it is a load of crap made up. I am not saying that it has'nt happened. I am big time against the use of under caliber weapons for big game. I myself came upon a yearling doe wich had darted and jumped into a wooven wire fence and had broke her neck, I figured I would just shoot her with the .22 and put her out. So i preceeded to shoot her point blank in the head in the temple with my .22 long rifle with high velocity ammo. I shot her 3 times in the head and she was still trying to get up, it din't do crap, I than precceded to shoot her twice in the heart before she finally expireded from them last two shots. Don't ever shoot a deer with a .22 it is not enough. After experiencing this myself firsthand I think most of these stories of shooting deer with .22's is a bunch of B.S. and stay away from it.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Spike

You can shoot a deer with any caliber of rifle. You just have to recognize your shooting a smaller bullet and your shot plavement has to be precise. I shot a doe this year with a 22-250 with a 55 grain bullet just to proove to several of my buddies it can be done. I ran the bullet right through the lungs and she went two feet straight down.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

An old deuce-deuce to the dome should do just fine haha!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Where I hunt(Mississippi) the smallest caliber you can use legally is a .243.That's the lightest I would go personally.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: .243Heartshot

None of you guys must of ever lived on a farm or went through rough times, all of y'all must think life is so easy. If it is the only thing you have use it. But if you can afford something else get the bigger rifle. But I was gonna ask you guys should I get a 10 gauge with buckshot for squirrel, the thing I was worried about is if it will have enough knockdown power, because I don't want to go hunting under gunned. Well maybe I'll go watch some pansy ass hunting shows and get myself a .50 bmg for deer. You guys can argue about .22 knockdown power all you want we have a permit to use rimfire. If ya'll did'nt read correctly we have to cull deer weekly or monthly year round. The deer eat our crops if we let them we'd be living in cardboard boxes and wiping our asses with leaves. I will continue to use any gun I want.
Why would you use a .22 when you have a .243?
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3287905&mpage=1&key=&#328790 5
That also looks like a pretty nice truck in the picture
i swear man you find these threads freakin fast lol, ive seen it a couple of times where you proved someone wrong by using their own words lol, you otta be a lawyer
Old 02-14-2009, 04:06 AM

If you have all the answers why would you come on here and even post this question, It has nothing to do with how good your grandma can shoot, it has to do with bullet construction and a 40 gr unjacketed bullet is not designed to humanely take down a deer. You should be able to get .243 or .308 ammo on sale at your local WalMart for $10 a box is 50 cents a deer too much to pay. Probably can spend a few bucks on beer though !! Just a dumb question to come on here and ask if you already know all the answers.

BD
ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

ORIGINAL: .243Heartshot

None of you guys must of ever lived on a farm or went through rough times, all of y'all must think life is so easy. If it is the only thing you have use it. But if you can afford something else get the bigger rifle. But I was gonna ask you guys should I get a 10 gauge with buckshot for squirrel, the thing I was worried about is if it will have enough knockdown power, because I don't want to go hunting under gunned. Well maybe I'll go watch some pansy ass hunting shows and get myself a .50 bmg for deer. You guys can argue about .22 knockdown power all you want we have a permit to use rimfire. If ya'll did'nt read correctly we have to cull deer weekly or monthly year round. The deer eat our crops if we let them we'd be living in cardboard boxes and wiping our asses with leaves. I will continue to use any gun I want.
2 ?s , where do you shoot the deer, and what part of TN is your farm?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

my nerf 3 in 1 shotgun gets the job done.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:35 AM

Actually I once lived in Mississippi, and it is perfectly legal to use a .22lr on deer a lot of people use it there like farmers. I asked the game warden, go look at the regulations, you will be surprised there is no restriction on how small of a caliber you can use. One shot between the eyes with a quality solid point 22lr it will be as dead if shot with a .375 Ruger. But this is only on private land it is the truth go check it out.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

6mm - 243 cal. Smallest I would go. And keep the bullet in the 100 gr. range. Personally I like 30 cal. ... specifically 30.06 Spr., 308 Win. or 300 Win. Mag. (for longer range).

Quick Reply: Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.