Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Smallest Caliber For  Deer Hunting >

Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 PM

Default RE: Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

It is in North East Tennessee I'm not sure exactly where, but our farm is a private apple orchard farm on 1,000+ acres, with corn fields, bean fields, turnips, greens, cabbage, carrots, watermelon, and etc. the list is way to long. But it is way out in the boondocks.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

A .22lr is great for squirrel, rabbits, ground hogs, and mabey even fox but it sure ain't a deer rifle. I have killed deer with a .22lr shot in the head but your sure not going to shoulder shoot deer and find them with any consistency. I have seen deer get up and run off after being shot in the head with a .22 at about 60 yds. I know it was shot in the head because we killed her later with a .270 and the bullet was still under her skin. Also if you live in Tn you have NO permit to shoot deer with a rimfire even out of your crops. I have helped kill deer out of soy beans with a spot light and a permit and you can NOT us a rimfire.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: .243Heartshot

None of you guys must of ever lived on a farm or went through rough times, all of y'all must think life is so easy. If it is the only thing you have use it. But if you can afford something else get the bigger rifle. But I was gonna ask you guys should I get a 10 gauge with buckshot for squirrel, the thing I was worried about is if it will have enough knockdown power, because I don't want to go hunting under gunned. Well maybe I'll go watch some pansy ass hunting shows and get myself a .50 bmg for deer. You guys can argue about .22 knockdown power all you want we have a permit to use rimfire. If ya'll did'nt read correctly we have to cull deer weekly or monthly year round. The deer eat our crops if we let them we'd be living in cardboard boxes and wiping our asses with leaves. I will continue to use any gun I want.
Why would you use a .22 when you have a .243?
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3287905&mpage=1&key=&#328790 5
That also looks like a pretty nice truck in the picture
Old 01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_rifle_hunter

the .243 is the smallest i would go. i would never use anything smaller than that on a deer. i use a .243 right now and it barely knocks deer over so i wouldnt use anything smaller
W/ all due respect,there is no such thing as knock over or knock down power. A bullet, no matter how big ,cannnot push a deer back or to the ground, although it may appear that way somtimes. My 1st gun kill was a very small fawn, at point blank range, w/ a 30-06 180 gr, a legit 200yd elk gun, blew the things shoulder almost clean off w/ a chest shot. Tough LIL sob ran 50 yds, on what I dont know. Since then, Ive used , 12 and 20ga slugs, 308, 7mag, 44mag and muzzleloaders ,never have I knocked a deer over. Most run a short distance and some simply drop from a severed spinal cord or broken scapulas.

I have never done it ,but within 50yds ,I would have no problem taking a headshot at a calm deer,w/ any legal cal. Some guys think thats too risky, but I can hit a soft ball at 50 yds w/ my 223 more consistantly ,than a paper plate at 150 yds w/ my 7-08. Thing about those puny pills, they tend to go right where you want every time. Several guys I know, kill some pretty good bucks every year w/ single shot 22 hornets, even w/ rib and shoulder shots.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Simply I hate getting my guns dirty so I always use the .22 It goes every where with me. But I am starting to realize the potential damage I could do by missing and hitting the jaw. I could use the .243 If I wanted to I have plenty of ammo on the farm. and with all the points you guys made It would be a good idea to start using the .243 and nothing else. I was not paying attention to my own ignorance, I will start using the .243 again. Thanks guys.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

So you went from not being able to afford a different gun to just not wanting to get your guns dirty? You're running in circles[&:]. I'm glad you're switching over to the .243 for good now.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM

Iv seen my brother kill a big doe with a 17 hmr.And i know lots of people that shoot deer in the head with a .22.My self i wouldent use anythain smaller than 223 for deer hunting.But im sure i could kill a .22 if i wanted to.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey guys, what is the smallest caliber you would use for deer hunting these are mine, .22 at 20 yards or less, .222, .223, .22-50, .243. I have not and will not use anything bigger than a .243, personally I have been out with a .22 when money is tight so did all my uncles. father , grandma, etc. Remember in Tennessee where we live it was legal at the time and during hunting season. But we were all very good shots being able to hit a nickel at 50 yards with open sights.
Hey, a .22LR will kill a 2000pd Santa Gertrudes Bull if you place the shot in the forehead @ 50yds, but in Florida the minimum is .243........Only poachers here use .22 on deer!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

None of you guys must of ever lived on a farm or went through rough times, all of y'all must think life is so easy. If it is the only thing you have use it. But if you can afford something else get the bigger rifle. But I was gonna ask you guys should I get a 10 gauge with buckshot for squirrel, the thing I was worried about is if it will have enough knockdown power, because I don't want to go hunting under gunned. Well maybe I'll go watch some pansy ass hunting shows and get myself a .50 bmg for deer. You guys can argue about .22 knockdown power all you want we have a permit to use rimfire. If ya'll did'nt read correctly we have to cull deer weekly or monthly year round. The deer eat our crops if we let them we'd be living in cardboard boxes and wiping our asses with leaves. I will continue to use any gun I want.
When I was a kid we would have loved to live ina cardboard box. 8 of us lived under an oldcarpet in a swamp downstream of the municipal dump. We used to fight to see who got to go collect broken glass for use in the rat traps. Mom could make the best rat sandwiches using whatever floated by. My younger brother had a shoe so he got to go to school. He brought me home my first rubber band and that's how I made my first slingshot. After that we could have pidgeons and such. Dad heard we were living so good he came back and wouldn't give up the carpet. We took turns with 3 of us sleeping underwater. A cardboard box would have been great that winter!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I currently use a .22 hornet for everything, got 19 kills with it, hogs and deer. All hit in the neck, hogs were hit in the head and neck. Everyone dropped right there. I havent body shot a deer with it but I know it would work too.
When I was about 17 we got broke into and all our guns were stolen, that year I deer hunted with a .22 mag, illegal but its all I had. I killed a spike and a doe with a shot to the body and he fell right there she went 40 yds and dropped, took a large doe with it to the neck and she dropped right there.
But whats the smallest I would use, whatever is legal in that state. A 22lr will do it everytime to the head, but I would step up a bit.
Ive a used a .222 on axis with no problems even body shot. My friend is a foreman on a game ranch and sometimes when I am visiting him he will get the urge and let me take an axis or two, I use his truck gun, a .222, havent had a problem with it.

Quick Reply: Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.