HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How Long Do You Let a Deer Hang Before Processing? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/276677-how-long-do-you-let-deer-hang-before-processing.html)

tmontgo1 12-03-2008 02:29 PM

How Long Do You Let a Deer Hang Before Processing?

This is if the temperature is low enough or you have access to a cooler

TreeStalker 12-03-2008 02:38 PM

RE: How Long Do You Let a Deer Hang Before Processing?

TWO WEEKS.....

DannyD 12-03-2008 02:39 PM

Usually 1 day. That's mostly because the family doesn't want it in theoutbuildingmore than that. So it's kill on friday, let it cool overnight (been in the 30's here), process on Saturday

Cannonw24 12-03-2008 02:55 PM

We would let them hang over two weeks in colorado but in mississippi its just too dang hot

wibucks 12-03-2008 03:52 PM

Usually a week unless its too warm.

tmontgo1 12-03-2008 04:14 PM

The really expensive beef you get in 5 stars restaurants usually hangs about 5 weeks at 36-38 degrees F.

wis_rifle_hunter 12-03-2008 04:49 PM

depends on the temperature and weather conditions. but we usually do it 1-3 days after

LeftyBuckmaster 12-03-2008 05:01 PM

The most I've let mine hang is 6 days but that was the only time I had access to a walk in cooler so I could control temps. Usually though I have them cut up withing 2 days due to not being able to control temps and humidity.

Remnard 12-03-2008 05:47 PM

The university of Georgia did a study years ago and they determined through extensive testing that it is best left for 10 days at 40 degrees. If its warmer, leave it hang shorter, colder and it needs to be hung longer. Of course as it approaches freezing the process almost stops or slows considerably.

If you do process sooner you should let it thaw and sit in the fridge for several days to let the microbes break down the muscle tissue for tender eating.

WV Hunter 12-03-2008 05:50 PM

Mine typically hang afew days....then go on ice a few more until I have time to work them up to go in the freezer. This year my sons buck was killed last monday - hung till Saturday then went on ice. I cut him up last night (9 days total). In 20yrs of doing it this way, I've always had good meat - never an issue.

I have a friend that lets his meat hang a LOOONNNNGGG time, weeks if its cold enough.