HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How Long Do You Let a Deer Hang Before Processing? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/276677-how-long-do-you-let-deer-hang-before-processing.html)

Phil from Maine 12-03-2008 06:04 PM

RE: How Long Do You Let a Deer Hang Before Processing?

I let mine hang 5 days to a week if the weather will allow me..

instinct 12-03-2008 06:44 PM

depends totally on the temp anywhere from 1 week to processing it as soon as we get it back to camp.

tmontgo1 12-03-2008 07:16 PM

We typically let ours hang if its in the thirtys and twentys at nite around 2 weeks. My dad use to work at a butcher shop and he refuses to let them hang less than a week. We use to take them to a walk in cooler that charged a dollar a day and let them hang a week if it was too warm out.;)

WVCritter 12-03-2008 07:29 PM

If you do process sooner you should let it thaw and sit in the fridge for several days to let the microbes break down the muscle tissue for tender eating.
This is why I use a steak hammer.............lol......I never let one hang more than 2 days. I've had backstraps and liver the same day of the kill before and it was just as good and any I ever had.

coyote170 12-04-2008 07:11 AM

1 week in a cooler,works fine for me!

ksfowler 12-04-2008 07:35 AM

Two days for me, they start to get in the way.

Hoyt_Viper 12-04-2008 08:18 AM

The key issue is temperature outside, or where the deer is hanging. I shot 2 deer in a week and had both of them skinned and quartered the same day because the temps were high 50's to low 60's. I packed them in coolers with ice for a week and then soaked in water in refrigerator for 2 days before packaged and stored in freezer.

I wish it would have been cooler so I could hang for a couple days at the least to let all the blood drain from the meat. That is usually the purpose of hanging them is to let the blood drain from the meat.

superstrutter 12-04-2008 08:30 AM

I don't hang my deer. I skin and quarter the deer right after killing it. I then put the meat in an ice chest. I usually cut it up two or three days later. It then sits in the fridge for a few more days before I freeze it. In all, the meat usuallystays on ice and inthe fridge 6 to 7 days.

fastetti 12-04-2008 08:58 AM

Since I don't hunt close to home, I usually let my deer hang anywhere from 2 to 6 days depending on the weather. In the 30's I have no worries about it. I usually hang them at camp and then again when I get home. I try to get to them ASAP when I get home, but if the weather is right, I'll let them hang for a bit. As long as the weather is right, you can let a deer hang for a while.

TNGal 12-04-2008 09:12 AM

We take ours to the processors.