Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Backstrap vs tenderloin

Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Good discussion - wish I'd seen this sooner so I could have posted sooner. Here's a little education thing I did a number of years ago and the last picture on this page (figure 10) is what is being referred to as the tenderloins. Note the location.
www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/gutting4.html
Old 01-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I learned when I shot my first hog that there are two cuts that are referred to: Loins and tender loins. Loins being the long strip on the back (backstraps) and the tenderloins are the ones on the inside. If you go to a grocery store you can see the different cuts of pork. You will see the loins are much larger then the tenderloins. __________________
Easiest way to explain it, along with Canucks pictures. site by the way.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Loins being the long strip on the back (backstraps) and the tenderloins are the ones on the inside. If you go to a grocery store you can see the different cuts of pork. You will see the loins are much larger then the tenderloins.
Exactly. Loins and tenderloins. We call the larger loins backstrap, but they are technically loins. The little inside meats are tenderloins.

BTW - I've used 6 different butchers over the years and have never had one take the tenderloins or loins. They always ask how we want them, whole, chops or butterfly.