Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how do you produce a buck in small farm land >

how do you produce a buck in small farm land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do you produce a buck in small farm land

Old 11-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default how do you produce a buck in small farm land

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do you produce a buck in small farm land

Weel you get a doe and buck together
Old 11-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

hunt hard and plant food plots

Old 11-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

hunt hard, plant food plots and create a sanctuary for them!! They need a place where there is no human interference year round. It could be a small ticket or something, but either way you create food and cover for deer they will stay there. Over the last couple years i turned a cow pasture my dad abandon when he got rid of the cows into a wood lot, I never go in the woods, but i do hunt the edge. That new growth is loaded with bucks.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

plant food plots and manage deer. take some does out and only shoot bucks that are 4 1/2 years old or older.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Lots of folks plant food plots, that is the wrong approach. Cover is what you need to keep him on your property 11 months out of the year. The other month(November), you need does. Food plots can help with attracting does, and that is the reason the food plots come in handy. He will stray when his other brain takes over, the best bet is to get your neighbors on the same page. Almost everyone around me doesn't shoot anything smaller a 16" 8pt. That helps more thanyou know. We only own 210 acres, but with the combined efforts of my neighbors, there isover 800 acres under management.

The biggest deer I've seen killed in the county was killed monday only 800yds from where I hunt, I think its working. What I call redneck scored 55 1/4"(22.5" inside,27.25" longest main beam, and 5.5" bases) I dont know how to score for real, but someone said over 150" after deductions(9pt). Not bad for NC.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed this buck on 12.5 acres. There is alot of cover on it and the neighboring properties.

Cover is it. Food if you don't have it is good to add. But I leave the area where I killed this buck 99% of the year with no human presence. I can't control what the neighbors do though. And truthfully they kinda help if they are all over thier property by pushing them onto my property.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hossdaniels

Lots of folks plant food plots, that is the wrong approach. Cover is what you need to keep him on your property 11 months out of the year. The other month(November), you need does. Food plots can help with attracting does, and that is the reason the food plots come in handy. He will stray when his other brain takes over, the best bet is to get your neighbors on the same page. Almost everyone around me doesn't shoot anything smaller a 16" 8pt. That helps more thanyou know. We only own 210 acres, but with the combined efforts of my neighbors, there isover 800 acres under management.

The biggest deer I've seen killed in the county was killed monday only 800yds from where I hunt, I think its working. What I call redneck scored 55 1/4"(22.5" inside,27.25" longest main beam, and 5.5" bases) I dont know how to score for real, but someone said over 150" after deductions(9pt). Not bad for NC.
Where in NC do you live?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Shelter is the key, try to make your property their bedding area......