Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wal-Mart Guns???

Old 11-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default Wal-Mart Guns???

Do you guys think there is a difference in the guns sold at Wal-Mart than the guns sold somewhere else? Do you think walmart guns are of cheaper quality? I dont believe they are, I believe they are the same. However I was told by someone (One of my old mans friends) that walmart guns are cheaper made and/or blemished in some way.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 AM

Default RE: Wal-Mart Guns???

I would rather support my local gun shop owner who has been selling guns for years and knows the ins and outs of guns than go to walmart and by a gun from someone who used to push a broom around the store and doesn't know anything about guns, ammo, or hunting in general.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 AM

quality wise....no. same manufacturer but i am with betheman on this one.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

I think the quality is the same but because they are a big corporation they can afford to drop their prices every now and then. Your local gun shops more than likely sell their guns at cost and because they don't have the same volume they can't afford to drop their prices. The way I see buying hunting equipment is that I will buy it wherever I can get the best price. Sometimes I buy stuff off of the internet, sometimes Walmart and sometimes the local gunshop.

As far as quality goes there is really no difference. Remington or Mossberg sell their guns to Walmart the same as they do to your local gun shop.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

same quality. a gun manufacturer is not going to stamp their name on a firearm and send it out knowing it is inferior to any of their other firearms. Wal-Mart sells cheaper because they buy in bulk from gun manufacturers and get better deals...which they pass onto the consumer. i buy from Wal-Mart and gun shops, i look at it this way...if the gun shops wanted more business from blue collar workers, then they need to stop price gouging on everything they sell. i know their over head is a little more due to them not buying in bulk but when they mark up some items as much as 50% to 60%, that is rediculous. i bought a scope from a local gun shop last year that i found on the internet (brand new from another retailer) for half the price i paid for it. this kinda pisses me off because i work hard for what little money i make.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

It's the same guns. The info you get from the person selling will not be the same, but as far as the guns, they are. Wal-mart is cheaper than most gun shops, but also don't carry near the selection. If you want a particular gun and they sell it at Wal-mart, buy it there. If not, buy it whey they do sell it. I have never heard of a gun shop not giving advice or helping out someone who already has a gun, just because they did not buy it from them. I would say buy the gun at whereever you get the best price. If you need info or want someone who knows what they are doing to scope it or bore sight it or whatever, take it to someone who has knowledge and experience and someone you trust.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I would prefer the knowledge and customer service of the local gun shop
Old 11-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: betheman

I would rather support my local gun shop owner who has been selling guns for years and knows the ins and outs of guns than go to walmart and by a gun from someone who used to push a broom around the store and doesn't know anything about guns, ammo, or hunting in general.
Ive lost count of the amount of times Ive gone into walmart asking about a gun or ammo, in fact anything hunting related and have gotten "i don't know" as the answer. and god help them if they had the initiative to find out for you.

and no, there is nothing wrong with walmarts guns. its just that they buy so many in bulk that they get them for a cheaper price allowing them to undercut everyone else. they still come with any warranty that the manufacturer offers.

so apart from the crappy product knowledge they have to offer, they do have a good low budget range of firearms. and i have never had a problem with my walmart special Mossberg shotgun.

but if you want a great gun go to your local gun shop. get to know the guy, and you know you will always be looked after. your business means more to him than it ever will to walmart.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

The guns are the same quality but come on spend a couple more bucks and support a gun shop owner. Plus they know more about the guns. I have heard that the ammunition at walmart is hot loads and its lower quality!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: tmontgo1

The guns are the same quality but come on spend a couple more bucks and support a gun shop owner. Plus they know more about the guns. I have heard that the ammunition at walmart is hot loads and its lower quality!!!
Why would Remington go to the trouble of making different (and inferior!)150 grain core-locts just to sell at Wal-Mart? I have bought a couple of guns at Wal-Mart. I don't need the salesman's advice there. I do my homework before I decide to buy. I bought my .270 from a gun dealer. I got him to match the Wal-Mart price on the riflethen I bought a scope from him and paid him to mount it. There's nothing wrong with being a smart consumer.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart Guns???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.