logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Fork Horn

Default .38 Special vs. Deer

So I was out shooting the .38 Special the other day and really got a kick out of...then I got to thinking about a couple stands I have in which to my right I can't swing the rifle around for a close shot.-but with the .38 I would definitely be able to make good shots at about a maximum of 40 yards. My question is: do you think this firearm is too little pop to take care of the deer I want to shoot? A little too unethical?
appleater25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Nontypical Buck

Send a message via Yahoo to stalkingbear
Default RE: .38 Special vs. Deer

Iseriously DON'Treccomend trying it except in special circumstances. Yes,the .38 special will kill a deer with the right bullet,exact placement,and VERY close range-nothing near 40 yards,but I honestlycan't reccomend it.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #3

hold on buddy rember the us army went to the 45. from the 38. cause it was take sevral shots to kill the tango deer are tough animals if you get a heart shot it wouldnt run more then 30 yards...any where else you probley wouldnt find it...i vote no
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
ORIGINAL: appleater25

So I was out shooting the .38 Special the other day and really got a kick out of...then I got to thinking about a couple stands I have in which to my right I can't swing the rifle around for a close shot.-but with the .38 I would definitely be able to make good shots at about a maximum of 40 yards. My question is: do you think this firearm is too little pop to take care of the deer I want to shoot? A little too unethical?
You better check with your game wardens.
In NC a handgun has to be at least a 357 magnum to hunt deer.
So you had better check first.

JMHO

What ever you do be carefull, and
remember to use ear plugs
The Hearing you save will Be Yours

Don't blame me, I voted for McCain!

Good Luck ><)))>

jrbsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Typical Buck

a 44 magnum or a .357 could get the job done, but i'd be scared to try it with a .38
Old 10-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #6

A .38 will get it done. I limit my bowshots to under 30, so why not try the same with a deer. Just like any other weapon, make sure you can make an accurate shot.
BigTiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Banned

A bow at 30 yards and a 38 special at 30 yards are 2 different things.
vabyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
Typical Buck

I use to use a 357, it wasn't quite enough to get a good exit wound, but 4 dead deer (after lots of looking for a couple of them). Moved up to a 44 with better results. So no 38 spl.
http://www.bioplots.com/Mineral_supplement_deer.php
Our exclusive mineral supplementation system
hossdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #9

Quote:
ORIGINAL: vabyrd

A bow at 30 yards and a 38 special at 30 yards are 2 different things.*
It takes more skill and practice to group consistently at 30 yards with a pistol, but if you shoot a fist-sized pattern at the 25 yard line at the range, I think it's good enough. Not many people can do it, but if you can, then I don't see a problem with it. Advances in pistol ammo over the past 15 years have made the .38 a more effective round.

That said, if you are going to hunt with a pistol, I would not choose a .38, I would start at .41 mag and go up from there. I'm looking at my next pistol purchase as being a .45-70. That just might be enough.
BigTiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
Typical Buck

I have had limited success with the .38 special. I have a NEF Handi-rifle in .357 which i hunt with all the time. Last year I used some .38 special rounds that were subsonic because I was hunting near a residential area and did not want to cause any alarm. Let them think we were just squirell hunting back there.

I dropped a good 8 pt with a round through both lungs. 158 gr SWC. Bullet did not exit. Stopped just inside the hide on the far side.

Shot another good 8 pt with a quartering away shot. Very little blood and never recovered it. Even used tracking dogs. 125 gr JHP.

Made a new round for it that uses a different philosphy. Energy of bullet at impact. 190 gr LRN. 1150 fps (just under the sound barrier). 700 ft lbs of energy at 50 yards. Should do the trick, it's penetrating my backstop better than the other rounds. Gonna try it out on some coyotes first.
mcraddock is offline   Reply With Quote